• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What's up with this?

My first post is a frightened one ! I saw the 3 eggs on ebay and bought them, got them Tuesday, They are in a beta breeder inside my tank, there are copepods around the eggs and looks like algae is starting to do its ordeal, here is a picture, what can I do to be sure these are alive/safe ?!?! I would feel down right sick to my stomach if something bad happend or these are fakes/duds..... I have done all I can for now, 3hr acclimation then right into that breeder. Starting to grow brine shrimp as well.
DSC00015.jpg

Oy. Hard to tell about the eggs.

Brine is widely regarded as an unsuitable food for cephs.

For a while she/he was saying they were going to send me the cephs, but then I never heard anything else.

Ah I have some on the way, but I can hold off on those, mysis shrimp is another good one correct ? I can try to get these at my LFS closer to when their hatching, hopefully.

Brock Fluharty;134853 said:
Mysis is better, but may be a bit big for newly hatched cuttles (depending on what species they actually are). Amphipods would be a more correct size I think.

Not really. Most cultured mysis are small and perfect for newly hatched cuttles (that usually start feeding in the first week after hatching). Amphipods are generally too strong for newly feeding cuttles and often get away even when caught.

Well I think the eggs are bad :/
I've had them for a week and they haven't grown, can't see in them, nothing, how long does it take for them to grow to where you can see inside ? Thanks,

-Ryan

Do they look transparent at all? If you gently touch them, they should feel like they have water inside of them. If they feel hard like they have jello inside of them, they are bad. You could hang on to them for awhile longer, maybe they will inflate. If they start disintegrating, then they are dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back