• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Whatelse can be kept with a Oct

i have seen pictures with the center being live rock then on the side an anenome with a clown and they seemed to get along. so is that okay?!? because i got a 150 gallon tank with a lot of live rock then i have 1 wild clarki clown(3 inhces) with an anenome (greenish color) but i hope the tank is big enough for the both of them. what do you guys think about it? yes, no, maybe so?

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
most of these tankmates, I've heard of.

My octotank also houses a brittlestar. aside from that I've got a few small anemones, about 1 -2cm big. but when they grow larger, I'm gonna take them out.

but how about fish tankmates? I still have a few black mollies in my tank. put them in for maturing it, but never took them out. the octo never bothered them, allthough they stayed away from his hide-out.

a friend of mine said the octo doesn't touch them because they have a bitter taste. don't know if this is true.

anyone else had success keeping octos and fish together?

Barnstorm

Blue Ring
Registered
My first (and so far only) bimac left the two 'tank-starter' damsels alone. I read in some thread though that damsels my may actually pick on an octo!?

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
has anyone tried keeping a long spinned sea urchinw ith one,

i mean it touched it it probabley wouldnt ever again

what about linkia starfish

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Octos and fish generally don't work well together. Fish tend to bother the octo - we've even had reports of damsels going after the octo's eyes. They can also make your octo stay in hiding more. When your octo grows larger, the fish can become a meal. Of course, there are exceptions, but more people have trouble with the combination than not.

Also, avoid the urchin with sharp spines. You don't want any injury to your octopus. The pencil urchin is fine.

Nancy

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
A octo-fish combination I saw at rotterdam zoo which seemed to work just fine

octopus dofleini (yes, the giant pacific octopus) kept together with a pair of garibaldi.

too bad the octo has pasted away a while ago. it was already adult when they got it and they had him/her a little less then a year I think.