• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What type of octopus for a larger tank

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
So I've read a pretty good amount about cephs in the past. I might be getting a new tank soon that will be in the 75-135g range(not sure yet), but I know it will probably be 72" long. I really don't know what I want to do with it yet, nothing is for sure. I always have been extremely interested in cephs though and was just wondering what kind of octopus would be a possibility for a tank this size. I'm just trying to get an idea of all my options for this tank :smile:. Thanks

Larger the better! that being said. Larger octopuses not only reguire good length but also depth. IMO, the 135 is one of the best tanks for larger species. It has enough length at 72" to allow plenty of lateral movement and room to free swim, but the addition depth (24") and width(18") ensures that they will be able to stretch out a bit. The next best would be the 125 tall which is 60x18x25 tall. A 75 gallon tank that is 72" long would be pretty narrow (18") and very shallow(13") so I dont think it would be the best option.

These three would be best when considering a larger species Like O.briareus.
90 48L x 18W x 25 H
125 Tall 60L x 18W x25H
135 72Lx18Wx28H

for O. Vulgaris you would need the 125 or 135. as the 90 might be a little to cramped.

I'm really liking the size of the 135g to begin with, which of these 2 octos would you recommend, they are both diurnal right? Also what do people usually add in with octos besides a substrate and LR? Or is that the only thing you can really have with them? I know they will eat fish. Thanks!

Hmm, sorry I though i had answer this already. I must have typed it and forgot to actually post it.

Technically the Briareus is Crepuscular, active at dawn and dusky, but the one I had was pretty active during the day as well, some of them learn to live by there keepers schedule. The Vulgaris is diurnal. Starfish, snails, and cucumbers seem to make good companion/clean up crews for these guys. They will eat most any crab, shrimp, or fish you put in with them. You can also have some corals as long as they are not stinging corals.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back