what the heck is up with my luck?!

Well, after 3 weeks of playing with Reapers, hand feeding, and many stareing contests, I found out today that Reapers is a girl. :banghead:
*shakes head*
Has anybody else had this happen to them?
I will try again with the octo spawn.
But Reapers was SOO active compared to my first octo Creepers. (also female, also laid eggs within a few days of getting her home.)
I wonder if the egg laying could be in response. in part at least, to the stressors of capture, shipping, and relocation.
It makes me sad.
Next time, I think I will implore all you kind folks here to point me in the dirsction of getting a YOUNG octo.
Oh well, Reapers has stopped eating, much like Creepers did. So I can't expect too much more out of the poor girl.
But I will keep on trying.
Allright, I just had to vent.
Sorry all.

sorry to hear it. That's really the best argument for tank-raised bimacs, since the age of wild-caughts is always a big unknown, particularly if you aren't sure of the species so you don't know how big they get. Keep an eye on the octopus availability thread, I think Zyan's expecting to have another batch of bimacs at some point fairly soon.

Monty,
well, to me, the ecological, conservation aspect of all this is the biggest drive for me to get captive bred animals.
When I saw the last few para larval ( I think that is the term) octos die last time, it broke my heart.
Honestly, with all those babys, you have to think that at least a few would have made it in the wild.
Oh well.
Bimacs from now on!
Thanks for the tip. :smile:

Animal Mother, TWO in one day?
Should we start a tonmo nursery? :smile:
Ok, I know.. lame... just trying to add a bit of levity to the situation. heh

monty;99710 said:
sorry to hear it. That's really the best argument for tank-raised bimacs, since the age of wild-caughts is always a big unknown, particularly if you aren't sure of the species so you don't know how big they get. Keep an eye on the octopus availability thread, I think Zyan's expecting to have another batch of bimacs at some point fairly soon.

I think about octopus keeping setups in terms of the size magnitude of cost, risk and success.

It seems to me few people have much luck with wild-caught octos; even on the best circumstances you don't see it often and it doesn't live too long. But this is tempered by the fact that the system was usually a lot cheaper and the octopus was easily available. You don't necessarily get much, but it is a decent bang for the buck.

On the other hand you can go big, my preferred method; a big tank and elaborate (read: expensive) equipment suitable to keep the larger-growing animal. Bimacs haven't been continuously available and when they are it's still the luck of the draw. But when you get lucky, the payback is more than you ever imagined. This is where I am now, but it has taken me a nice sum of money and years (!) of patience.

I don't know that these thoughts are particularly relevant, but they come to mind often when reading threads about WC and TR octos.

Dan

From all the threads of experiences I've read here, I see what you mean Dan and completely agree. I feel like I'm having a one in a million experience so far... That's all I'm saying because I don't want to jinx myself.. or Tuvalu.

Interesting - the wild caught bimacs we had originally seemed to live as long as the captive bred ones. And you could get one several months old, too.

Nancy

gravesly;99709 said:
But Reapers was SOO active compared to my first octo Creepers. (also female, also laid eggs within a few days of getting her home.)

Sorry to hear it - but good luck with the babies. Will you name at least one of them 'Jeepers'? :wink:

Tintenfisch;99757 said:
Sorry to hear it - but good luck with the babies. Will you name at least one of them 'Jeepers'? :wink:

HAHAHA!!!
In fact, that WAS the next name! lol
I loved that movie as well.
I am a spfx artist, so I tend to like creepy movies, and jeepers creepers was briliant. :biggrin2:

Any update on the eggs? My octopus from Saltwaterfish.com laid eggs the same day. Can you see any black spots in the eggs yet?

I can't see any spots in my octo eggs yet. Still wondering if they are furtile.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back