What species?

S Korte

Hatchling
Registered
This is my new octopus, I've had him 3 weeks now. His name is Spook and he is a greedy pig. His head and body are about 1 and a half inches long, and his legs are about 7 and a half inches long. He seems to have much longer legs than most of the pictures I see on this site. One video suggests to me that he is a vulgaris (not just his table manners).

Any ideas what he is?

Attachments

• conv_302103.jpg
    conv_302103.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 77
  • conv_302104.jpg
    conv_302104.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_302105.jpg
    conv_302105.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 65
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

And a big welcome to Spook! Spook is a fine looking octo.

There are several species of long armed octos that are available in local fish stores. Do you ever see a blue green coloration on your octo?

Nancy

Yes I do, most times when feeding he is brown to dark brown/red. But when he is not excited he is often a grey/blue colour, and when the light hits him right he seems to have lots of flourescenty green, dots, lines in him.

Stephen

My best guess is that you have O. briareus . In addition to its long arms, this species is recognized by its bulging eyes, almost transparent webs beween its arms, and a blue-green iridescent sheen on the skin.

This is an octopus that lives in coral reefs in shallow waters and is found in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.

It's nocturnal, although I have seen some that have become day active in captivity. Also, it will grow larger, with a body of about 5 inches and arms about 24 inches.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back