• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What Overflow Would You Recommend?

Hang on overflow boxes use siphons in order to pull the water up over the side of the tank before it goes down into the sump. If an octopus were to cover up the overflow box and break the siphon, you could end up with some serious water on your floor.

I received an eshopps up to 800gph hang on box yesterday, and although I am happy with it, if you have an option, I would suggest built in overflows.

Drilling your tank is likely the best option, though it is a pita.
Also, a properly designed sump/tank system won't flood no matter what happens. This usually means that the tank can handle the entire extra volume of the sump should the overflow fail, or the sump can handle the extra volume of whatever the standpipe might drain should the pump fail.

robind;141176 said:
Drilling your tank is likely the best option, though it is a pita.
Also, a properly designed sump/tank system won't flood no matter what happens. This usually means that the tank can handle the entire extra volume of the sump should the overflow fail, or the sump can handle the extra volume of whatever the standpipe might drain should the pump fail.

Setting up a large enough sump to take the power off draining and drilling a small siphon breaking hole in the input line to the main tank is something every sump setup should accomodate. However, positioning the return pump to continue working between top-offs (two gallons a day in my larger - but not very large - tanks) and having the display accept the volume of water that could be pumped into the display if the overflow fails is a major challenge.

I have the feed for my return pump partitioned from the rest of the sump in such a way that only about 3 gallons is available for it to pump into the tank. The rest of the water gets trapped behind baffles. Unfortunately this also means my pump runs dry very quickly should the overflow fail.

i am on reefcentral discussing this same thing and everyone has recommended me the lifereef or the eshoppes overflow, but everyone says the lifereef is the best

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back