What is the norm for Octopus Eggs?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Some interesting questions were asked of me last night and I thought I would throw them out to the "experts". :smile:

Somewhere on the net was read that an octopus lays over 150,000 eggs. Is this a true figure and if so how many of these offspring would survive? What type of predators are lying in wait?

No of eggs depends on species and I suspect 150,000 would be the upper end of it (although Roy or Steve may have a better handle on this than me) Generally less than 1 % would survive of any large egg mass (but all you really need are two, right, one to replace each adult, in a stable population that is!)

Predators; many fish, anemones, other large filter feeding types, other cephs...................

J

esquid;117971 said:
I was just reading a paper on Octopus vulgarius that estimated the
number of eggs between 100,000 - 500,000. They are a small egg octo.

erin

told ya someone would have a better handle on that upper range, thanks Erin. Our common species tend to the lower end of the scale but they are big egg octopus. from 50,000 to 200,000 or so

J

only 1-2% survive? wow. thats crazy. is that in the wild or in tanks? i would think you might get a higher survival rate in a controlled environment like an aquarium.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back