what does a octopus feel like?

Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
58
when my octo came out for the second or third time with the lights on he came up to the surface and i opened the lid ans he reached for me. i put my finger down there and he head one hell of a grip. he tried to pull my hang down or pull himself up. but i didnt wanna let him get out and i was kinda scared so i pulled my hand back and he let go and went to the bottom of the glass. im glad to read they wont bite. hopefully next time hes out ill give it another shot as long as u say he should bite. by the way he is a carribean reef octo and his legs are 8 inches and mantle is about 1.5 inches. let me know what you think,
greg
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
5,798
Well, they may bite, but mostly out of curiosity in a case like this. You can avoid being bitten by not letting Waldo float down on your hand and envelop it.

A bimac bite is very minor - I assume a briareus bite is too (and I have Waldo listed as a briareus, right?), because no one has reported being bitten by that species.

However, there is also the remote possibility that you're allergic to the venom, like people are allergic to bee stings. And there are reports of people getting infections from bites or even broken skin in a tank (or in the ocean) - none of our Tonmo octo keepers have reported this.

Nancy
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
4,218
We had a student allergic to octo venom, she got bitten and went into a full anaphylactic attack, which required a helicopter ride to hospital (we're 30 mins from town on a narrow twisting road). You do need to take some care, after all you won't know if you're allergic till you've been bitten! plus people react in very different ways and have different pain thresholds. Octopus warringa has a painful bite it's rather like a bee or hornet sting but can last as long as three weeks (AND their beaks can easily penetrate skin!)

J
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
4,218
Melissa,

It is mucous which is made by adding water to very long chain protein molecules. I wrote a wee article for our local paper which can be found in an octopus's den thread called "Tonmo.com makes the Otago Daily Times" or something like that. (Sorry I don't know how to connect the threads directly!!)

J
 

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,632
I was interested to hear at Tonmocon about the pygmy (and other smaller species of octopus) tending to be more venomous than their larger cousins, although it was also reassuring to learn that unless you tend to have allergic reactions to insect bites and the like, it will be irritating and painful, but not lethal.
 

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Joined
Mar 15, 2003
Messages
6,638
yeah, it was great to learn so much about the little guys...couldn't figure out why my hand was so goofed up after being nailed by a M. digueti, until that talk !!!!
information, what a beautiful thing !

greg
 

Top