• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what do you have and how much do you have in your ceph set up

75g Oceanic tank w/hood, light, and stand $300
20H g sump tank $20
Skimmer $150
700gph pump $80
Marineland overflow $90
Mat'l for abandoned DIY overflow $30
Oolitic substrate (1") $60
Varying sands for DSB $60
Live rock (~35 lb) $160

Total: $950

Probably some other stuff I forgot about, too.

Still to buy:

macroalgae
octo & clams

Dan

ive got you all beat i just bought 1000 square acres of prime reef in the phillippines! that cost about oh 50,000,000 jk i wish im setting up a 75 and i think over all will have spent about 500 bucks cause im one of those people who are too cheap to buy real products and make my own for a fraction of the cost!

I'm going to keep this poll and lists of equipment at the top of the Tank Talk forum for a while - lots of interesting information and will be valuable for people getting started, too.

Nancy

Just getting started

I was just looking over all the expenses. It's committment...but worth it!
I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice on resources where to order/purchase a tank for starters. I've been looking on eBay and other smaller sites but was wondering if there was somewhere recommended price and quality wise.

Thanks,
Alex

If you are going to buy a tank for octos...buy a brand new one from your local lfs...try to find one that sells the actual aquarium grade tank, (with 3/8 " glass...not the thin stuff)...and be prepared to pay a bit more. It is worth it in the long run...I have had some of my tanks for over three decades, without a leak !
greg

p.s. if I added up all that I spend, I would probably come unglued...so I am going to be like an ostrich on this bit...

:shock: Oh man, I was just starting to think seriously about setting up a tank (probably won't get a better chance than I have now, living close enough to the ocean to get some direct supplies) but I'll have to see if I can do it on a record low budget...

I got my stuff over the course of 6 months to a year. If you're willing to wait and do it that way, you can get by only spending about $100 a month on it.

Dan

even though my tank isnt ceph realated it was extremly expensive
1000gal tank(pumps were built in this tank was a custom built one from aquarium design group and this tank now goes for 25k and up)-16,000$
live sand 200$
white tip reef shark-2000$
black tip reef shark-1500$
person who did tank matinence-580/wk
now i dont have this tank anymore i have since sold it but it was an awsome experience i mostly have experience with sharks/rays i sold my shark(blacktip) to the aquarium of the americas and my white tip went to a guy who had an 8000gal shark tank in galveston. i sold my aquarium to my lfs and it is still there(no one has room lol) the matinence is what was ridiculous i mean it was a lot of work keeping those things almost a daily thing and they had to be fed large prey items and i had to change both protein skimmers and each one is like 3ft tall but it was an amazing experience i plan on buying a 400 or 500 to house a GPO in the future and see how that goes.

Hi HL,

I wonder if 500 gal (US I'm assuming) will be enough for a GPO. (Does anyone know????) The reason I wonder is that 500 gal US is 1,892.7059 L (approximately :biggrin2: ) and we keep our Pinnoctopus cordiformis in a 3600L tank. This is a smaller species (gets to roughly 2m across the arms and ~10kg weight) but it needs every centimetre of that space!

Just a thought!

Cheers

J

75 gallon overflow tank,strip light,glass top $330
20 gallon custom wet/dry sump filter $199.95
Quiet One 980gph pump $119.95
ESU 125gal. skimmer $199.95
live sand $49.98
salt mix $41.95
hydrometer $13.89
tank stand $170.95
overflow kit $59.95
90lbs. live rock $445.5
110 gallons RO water $90.16
plumbing supplies ~$130
water mixing tub $15

Total including tax== $1978.46

Having a pet octopus: PRICELESS!!!

I know what you mean Mr Crabs! Im 16 too - mine is a 5 foot (though i have recently opted to use this for fish and my 4 foot side by side fuge for a small tropical ceph species - mestus etc) - i dont want to add it all up but for the 5 foot tank, the 3 foot sump, the 150kg live rock, the halides, all the corals, and now the 4 foot fuge i am doing...(the whole thing is probably over 1800...errrr (wow) - i just wont think about it!) which is pretty much my life savings haha!!!...worth every cent!

i havent spent a euro yet (or a dollar) for equipment....
how come some ppl have a short list of stuff, and other a BIG LONG list?? whats the least you need??
whats an overflow box?
do i need pump+filter+protein skimmer???
ye i know i have a lot of questions....but o well you know all about it !
please help !

Guess in the past, I have always made my octo tanks as simple and secure as possible.
Setup stats:
40gal Glass tank with one overflow: $90.00
Glass top: $25.00
U.S. Aquarium wet/dry filter with PS: $255.00
Rio pumps and powerheads: $220.00
Lights (2):$125.00
Live rock: $75.00
Surgar Sand and RO water: $75.00

I have a 40gal glass tank, with a wet/dry system good for a 100 gal tank. I run the entire system like it is a 100gal tank, keeps the water fresh and clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back