• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what do you have and how much do you have in your ceph set up

custom made 50 gallon cube tank = free
custom made stand = 40
live sand = 20
live rock = 100
ehiem cannister filter = 20 broken on ebay 5 dollars for glue to fix it
skimmer = 10 dollars broken on ebay about 30 dollars in parts
salt water = 10
lights = free
heater = free

so 235 but I do not have an octopus yet. My tank has been up for 6 months now and it is fully cycled, running great, all water conditions are great. I am just trying to figure out if I could some how capture an octopus in the wild somewhere around flordia or if I am going to get one from a local pet shop.

My planted fresh water 55 gallon tank cost me about 1500 so far. I made all the filters, stand, hood and c02 reactor.

fluvial is just one brand and one model of filtration! But most people would agree you need a very good filter for an octo tank wether that is natural (caulerpa etc) or mechanical (like the fluvial) - but perhaps the most important part is the skimmer - it will save you in an emergency such as an inking where a filter takes longer to process the water or cant get all the big stuff the skimmer will clean it up in a few hours or less (depending on tanks size - mine is bigger so it dilutes more and takes longer)

i believ most people buy new tanks from lfs's because of the copper issue but i got my 5 foot second hand - though you have to be very careful to ensure no copper meds were ever used and even then it is a risk! Good Luck - looking back at that there will probably be more questions so keep em coming

ya I own this type of filter and weew is it good I went from a bio weel. my water was clearer in the first day and it is perfect for when you scrub algea of the glass the filter suchs it all up. there is no clogging ether great filter.

its not the type that is so important as that you have good filtration and excellent skimming - (ink and food scraps quickly pollute the tank otherwise) oh and make sure to cover the intake with netting or foam securely so the octo doesnt climb in!

over all i could easily say 25,000 over the 5 years in the swf hobby i have been in. the 150 gall oceanic was 700 custom made. i believe the sump/ skimmer was around 600 al in all, live rock was 800, live sand was about 100, lighting was over 700 for three 400 watt mh and vho's. but thats that thank. my current cuttle tank is just a tank i bought at petco for aroun 75 bux. all the rest of the stuff on it is recycled from my 45 gal scropionfish reef.

I dont know where to start, and im not sure anymore on the exact makes or cost, but ill be conservative (btw, I live in alaska, so if the price seems real high, its because american companies see alaska as overseas when it comes to shipping price.

150 gal all-glass aquarium $600
solid oak display stand w/canopy and oak corner trim $750
reefugium 3016 $650
HUGE protien skimmer (venturi fed) made for a 250 gal tank $225
4 x 110 w high output lights $225 ea.
70 lbs live sand $100 or so
90 lbs live roch $250 or so
2 x 16w dual actinic lights $50 ea.
wave master tidal wave powerhead control unit $245
7 powerheads (I think their 702 or 802's) not sure $40-50 ea
inline charcoal canister $75
ro/di top off system that feeds into a self built
kalkwasser drip system for automatic topoff $350
4 timer light control system (simulates natural light cycles) $100
this was fun to build, first actinic on right side comes on first
15 min later second actinic on otherside of tank comes on
30 min later, the 2 110w on the right side come on
15 min after that the other 2 come on....
they are on for 10 hours (all of them) then the process is reveresed
that way corals and octo get a full natural cycle.... wave maker
coincides with lights out to drop the flow in tank to a mellow night
tide, wave maker comes back on sometime between the 2 actinics
turning on.

There is about $150 of misc stuff not worth mentioning also.... but the most expensive part of the tank was the ford explorer I had to buy my wife to make up for me spending sooooooo much on the tank....

Now that i look at the list, DANG, I spent ALLOT, one of the kids isnt going to college now.

hehehe

the older the boy, the more expensive the toy

Im lucky enough to live in thailand everythings sooo cheap here... i dont yet have a ceph.. im just preparing my tank, but i bought a 50 litre tank with an attached overflow filter for about $18 US, i get 1 kg live rocks for $ 3. 50 , 1 kg of live crushed coral for $ 2 , i just have some small clown fish and other species that i paid about 50c each for.
the octopuses and cuttlefish (common) are $3-4 each at the market in Bangkok.
cool huh!!??

I'm definitely a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I'm wondering how many of these things it's even possible to make on my own. I'm already planning on making my own tank and sump, and probably my own skimmer, but how much of the rest of this is it possible to make on one's own?

DIY is the way to go if you can. I bought only the main parts(pump, skimmer, tank, glass top), and did the rest by myself. Ebay is also your best friend.

240 custom glass square with 4 drilled holes and a single overflow $750
Custom glass top for 240 -sealed with 4 doors-2 front and 2 back- $100
delivery of above tank $100
DIY stand -lumber and bolts $200
4 heavyweight 2" bulkheads for pressure fittings on tank total $100
DIY sump made of 3 rubbermaid tubs and plumbing- walmart $75
10 cheaper bulkheads for sump system 2" -ebay $100
Dolphin Ampmaster 2700 pump -marine depot $300
Vortex 400 venturi skimmer -ebay $250
40 gal bioballs -ebay $200
300 lbs gravel-volcano beach-and shipping -marine depot $200
soon to get live rock ebay-200lbs. $600
(2) 48" satillite lights with lunar $150
_____
$3125
and I don't even have anything alive yet.:sad:

This has been a really depressing exercise, when you look at it this way, but ya gotta wait for everything to be just right or don't even bother trying.
I got 3 months to wait after I get my live rock in, if everything goes well I'll get a happy O.Vulgaris or S.Officinalis pair.:biggrin2:

I'm obviously confused and aroused. What else can you make? Can you make a chiller or a filter or a light fixture? I was thinking I'd have to buy everything I could make out of PVC or acrylic.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back