• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what do you have and how much do you have in your ceph set up

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
ill start

I have a

Bimac Octopus
240 Gallon Glass Tank with two overflows - $500
Sedra pump for my protein skimmer - $115
Emperor 400 filter - $50
Live rock is from older tanks, but it was $150
Live sand - $40 plus 6 bags of regular play sand - $10

so about 865 bucks

i dont think thats bad for that big of a tank

though I still have to buy plumbing suppliess

oh i forgot the $140 for my mag 36 pump

Okay.
30 tank - 50
400 Emperor filter - 50
Fluval 204 - 60
Skimmer - 70
Rock - 150
Sand - 50
Stand - 150

$480 for 30 gall setup

(Difficult to pay for when you're 16yrs old!!!)

yeah i know what your talkign about , im 20 , anyways ,

how is your octopus doign , how old is he again mr. krabs.

ive had mine now for about 2.5 weeks

Mr. Krabs said:
Okay.
30 tank - 50
400 Emperor filter - 50
Fluval 204 - 60
Skimmer - 70
Rock - 150
Sand - 50
Stand - 150

$480 for 30 gall setup

(Difficult to pay for when you're 16yrs old!!!)

Yeah i hear ya...im 12 and its taken me a loooong time to get everything :frown:

i have a 150 galon used tank with stand $400
eheim wet/dry filter $280
eheim canister filter $100
i forget what lights i have exactly but i got the mnew and i spent $425
then i have $160 in sand/chrushed puca shells
some piecec of dead coral $250
and i stillhave ot get about $500 in live rock and glass cuz for the top so that will pry be about $100

i have $1600-1800 in it now and i still need to put another $600-700 worth of live rock and minor stuff

but my set up is a nice setup and pretty much will take care of its self after the first 6 months

Hmmmmm.

SQUIDCAM has NZ$4,785 equipment alone (excluding the camera). Current NZ/US$ conversion rates, that's US$3346.

600 litre acrylic cylinder - $1599
EHEIM 2217, 1000 litre/hr - $345
ELITE 802 airpump - $33
Aqua Medic Midiflotor protein skimmer - $323
Submersible pond pump (forget details) - $150 (sump to chiller)
Misc EHEIM tubes (pump to tank, tank to sump) - $60
Chiller (can't find brand details anywhere) - $2250
Misc stones and airlines - $5
Sump (old barrel) - $20

All the pumps, skimmers etc. are in the sump. EHEIM from sump to tank; overflow from tank to sump. Pump in sump to chiller, return to sump.

I've got 3 of these setups (and a ton of other glass tanks - seldom use them), but only one chiller; I desperately need additional chillers, but at that price .... :roll: . The chiller is magnificent, but I do remember buying it, opening the box and there wasn't any information - no manual, no nothing - and there's nothing on the unit itself. Bizarre. Took me quite a while to figure it out (and that I had to buy a pump to operate it - that wasn't apparent earlier), but I wouldn't be without one now; I dread it dying as it's been operating constantly for 2 years without a hiccup!!

You siad it

ant said:
Yeah i hear ya...im 12 and its taken me a loooong time to get everything :frown:

You said it, I'm 14 and and I don't have that much cash, I have a Palpal program that will go to buying equipment for a buy and release program, I buy fresh sea creatures that are in good shape and release them, the injured ones will be hospitalied in my fish bowl,um tank... I have raised 50$ so far...I need at least 10000 HK cash to get a small 30gal. tank 8 HKD = 1 USD. So, I have 400 now... and 9600 or more to go (if the USD, HKD doesn't change)

Steve O'Shea said:
Hmmmmm.

SQUIDCAM has NZ$4,785 equipment alone (excluding the camera). Current NZ/US$ conversion rates, that's US$3346.

600 litre acrylic cylinder - $1599
EHEIM 2217, 1000 litre/hr - $345
ELITE 802 airpump - $33
Aqua Medic Midiflotor protein skimmer - $323
Submersible pond pump (forget details) - $150 (sump to chiller)
Misc EHEIM tubes (pump to tank, tank to sump) - $60
Chiller (can't find brand details anywhere) - $2250
Misc stones and airlines - $5
Sump (old barrel) - $20

All the pumps, skimmers etc. are in the sump. EHEIM from sump to tank; overflow from tank to sump. Pump in sump to chiller, return to sump.

I've got 3 of these setups (and a ton of other glass tanks - seldom use them), but only one chiller; I desperately need additional chillers, but at that price .... :roll: . The chiller is magnificent, but I do remember buying it, opening the box and there wasn't any information - no manual, no nothing - and there's nothing on the unit itself. Bizarre. Took me quite a while to figure it out (and that I had to buy a pump to operate it - that wasn't apparent earlier), but I wouldn't be without one now; I dread it dying as it's been operating constantly for 2 years without a hiccup!!

Help here...I could donate my 50 USD to you...but I'll have to ask the person who donated to me for permission since this is for another worthy cause... ( PLease see Pay me money noe poeple thread in the Octo's den fourm for some info)

Wow I didnt want to do the math but here it is.

130 Gal custom built glass aquarium with three 1.75" thru hull fittings $600

Sump $75

Ocean clear OFC 319 Mechanical/ Biological/ Chemical filter $159
http://www.redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=y&catID=95&subID=30&proID=96

Oase Nautilus 10 $229
http://212.93.14.92/productdb/templ....php?sid=3041&cid=200048&Session=&top_id=3029

Misc plumbing $50

Coral Gravel/ sugar sand $100

Coral sea Deep sea lights $65

Chiller (DIY) $300 +/-

:oops: Total $1578 :oops:

I spent all my money on women and Octopus, the rest I wasted!

marinebio_guy said:
Y'all sure do spend a lot! I have some in systems that would cost under 150. The most expensive thing is usually the tank.

I got a 50gallon tank (just the tank, nothing else) from PetSuperMarket for $50. :biggrin2:

I dont really want to see how much either but:

50g tank: $50
Overflow box: $80
Lights and glass top: $80
Sump(including biotower): $40
Pumps: $100
PS: $100
Heater: $30
RO/DI filter (though this could be argued that its not part of the setup): $200
Live Rock+Base Rock: $350
Sand: $40

Total: $1070

Just over 1k.

Not sure of the exact values but

3600L concrete tank
Venturi pump,
Diesel back up pump (x2),
Diesel genny for the back up, back up venturi pump!
Several Km of marine grade PVC pipe and fittings
200L Sand filters (x2)
30.000L reserviour tank

I could go on and on and on at the last valuation the aquarium was valued at many million NZ$$ not bad for a very small 74 year old aquarium.

We keep Pinnoctopus cordiformis, Octopusspp and Sepioloideaspp

J

aw...

So it's:

A eclipse 3000 with bacteria wheel and water pump $3400
6 packs of carbon filter $20 each ($120)
air pump $80
4 bottles of DIY bacteria wheel kilt $80 each ($320)
1 bottle of aqua something that keeps fish slime coats healthy $32
heating tube $80
box of salt $120

Total: $4152 It's about 1000 less than actual amount since I forgot some items and some of the listed items are underpriced.

well usually the money spent is money well spent as long as u do a little research about the products. because i have seen some tanks where people have gone the "cost saver way" and the tank didnt look very clear and had several problems. it may just be me but i think a little extra money spent will go a long way after time.
greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back