• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What do I need?

Octi

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Right now I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and I was wondering if I could use that for an octopus in a few years? I would also like to know what I would need to buy and how much it would be so that I can start saving. What kind of octopus could I get? And anything else you can think about.
Thank You!:smile:

Get Nancy and Colin's book for good background and read the articles on this site, there's a lot of great free info right here! After looking at the list of needs on this site, start going to local fish stores and price out the different equipment at different stores in your area- where I am the cheapest place for hardware is a different store than the best one for fish and info! The sooner you convert to salt, the sooner you'll have a cycled tank, maybe Santa can help out sooner that you'd hoped? There are lots of fun fish and inverts that aren't very expensive (the cheap stuff always seems to be the hardiest). Get into the practice of testing your water quality and performing water changes regularly, just getting used to the differences in routine of salt and fresh. You are making a great choice to take some time and not rush into things!

I have a 55 gal, too, and I really like aculeatus, but there are other good choices for that size tank, too! Research the needs of the different kinds of octos and see what's compatible for you. Right now, octos go for about $50, depending on the type and supplier. Look at some of the on- line suppliers and see what they are charging.

one danger of moving from fresh to salt water is that the residue from copper-based freshwater medication stays in the tank pretty much forever, and is fatal to cephs. If you've ever used copper-based meds, you'll pretty much need to get a new tank for an octo.

its good that you have time for alot of research before hand. the past couple of weeks ive been reading alot of the older ceph care threads because people come on and post when they are having a problem with something, so its good to learn about what to do in a specific situation. its over 100 pages worth i think so its packed with good info.

as for the cost, it depends where you live. people in america dont realise how lucky they are as far as this stuff goes. im in australia and its usually significantly cheaper to buy things from america and pay for the shipping than to buy something in store here, only the dollar is bad at the moment so i didnt have that option. my set up is a 6 ft tank, a 4 ft sump and a 3 ft feeder tank/ refugium. from start to finish its going to end up costing very close to $4000. i still need to get some moon lighting and put together a lid, but i still have a month until the octopus arrives so im hoping no other expences blindside me. i think i read somewhere its usually double what your personal estimate will be. that was true for me, but seeing the setup its worth it.

ps dont skimp on the skimmer, something overrated and good quality is a must.

Thanks for replying everyone!!
I want to get a saltwater tank before I get a cephalopod anyway so I'm thinking it will be a few years before I get a cephalopod.
For X mas I'm asking for a 29 gallon salt water setup!! I'll be sooo happy if I get one!!!:biggrin2:
I haven't used any copper-based meds in my 55 but I would think that by the time I get a cephalopod I would be able to get a brand new tank!
I was also wondering what would be a good cephalopod to start with. A cuttlefish or an octopus?
Thanks!

having no experience with either im probably not the best person to be answering you, but from what i understand their pretty much the same, only you wouldnt need a secure lid for a cuttlefish, and depending on the size you might be able to keep more than one in a tank. octopuses interact more however, but cuttlefish are visually more impressive with their "light shows"

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back