• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

what can we do to help?

squidboymom

Blue Ring
Registered
Just wanted to thank you all for being so wonderfully generous with all of your suggestions. I'm looking into them all and making lists! One thing I've learned...most people have no idea how much we are affecting marine life.

That's really cool that at eight years old your son is already interested in helping others (marine life). Also he must have a great mom to go out of her way and help her son on his "project".

Also I browsed your sons pictures and they are really good!

squidboymom;175767 said:
One thing I've learned...most people have no idea how much we are affecting marine life.
People are very focused on their own lives so they really just don't pay attention to ocean life :hmm: And, a lot of people also really just don't care...

squidboymom

Blue Ring
Registered
Roy tries to tell his school friends about conservation and paying attention to the world around them, but they have no frame of reference. He gets really discouraged sometimes, which is why we want to help him with this project. He'll be so pleased that you like his pictures! He's already informed me that he's going to need lots of paper,pencils and markers.

Sounds as if your kid is going through some of the same things I went through as a kid, although conservation was less my thing than the more experimental, theoretical aspects of science.

Perhaps you can find a nature center in your community that has educational programs. I used to volunteer at one as a wee rugrat and there were programs for kids of all ages.

The disappointment is going to happen. Prepare him to encounter more of it as he gets older, if he's in similar shoes to the ones I'm in. This will not only help him conserve his energy, but will also steer him toward those who will be his allies. Help him learn to seek out those who care about similar things.

Sound like you are doing the right thing already, supporting him. Take him to you local aquarium and they have different kinds of support programs and later when he is older then he can volunteer part time to learn more about what his passion might be; save the whales or help the sea turtles. Good job! so few really care.

squidboymom

Blue Ring
Registered
It's nice to hear stories of other people's youthful struggles. I'm going to let Roy read today's posts when he gets home today. We are making plans this summer to start taking him to are closest state park on the coast. Unfortunately, we don't have an aquarium close by, but I'm sure we ca locate some resources.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konkong555

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak