• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What can i feed my octopi?!!!

Shore shrimp, small fiddlers, hermits. Most dwarfs don't accept dead food but you can try it. Maybe frozen krill or as mentioned, small pieces of thawed raw shrimp. A member here has had great success supplementing her dwarf O. mercatoris' diets with Cyclops-eeze.

You're going to have to plan on the expense of feeding nothing but live foods, and if it accepts frozen stuff, then great. But be prepared to spend some money on live food in case it doesn't. www.aquaculturestore.com is a great store with great prices for live saltwater feeder shrimp and crabs. About $25 for 50 shore shrimp, shipping included.

My Mercs all eat thawed frozen (not dried) Cyclop-eze nightly but everything else is live or was live just before feeding. I hand feed, using a large, long pipette, a freshly killed shore shrimp as often as they will take one (usually 5 out of 7 nights) and always keep at least one (depending on which tank and how many Mercs are in residence) live fiddler and several live shore shrimp in the tank. My guys are all related so the experience may not be general but this diet has kept them alive since birth. Two of my 6 are still alive at 13 + months. All but one (it died very young when it crawled up the net) lived at least 8 months, three over 12 month and two are still alive. I believe in feeding Cyclop-eze daily ;>).

Animal Mother;116385 said:
Shore shrimp, small fiddlers, hermits. Most dwarfs don't accept dead food but you can try it. Maybe frozen krill or as mentioned, small pieces of thawed raw shrimp. A member here has had great success supplementing her dwarf O. mercatoris' diets with Cyclops-eeze.

You're going to have to plan on the expense of feeding nothing but live foods, and if it accepts frozen stuff, then great. But be prepared to spend some money on live food in case it doesn't. www.aquaculturestore.com is a great store with great prices for live saltwater feeder shrimp and crabs. About $25 for 50 shore shrimp, shipping included.
What are Cyclops-eeze?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back