What aquarium has live squid on display?

I did find out today that there was at least one Dosidicus held for a few days last week (I'm a little bit miffed that nobody told me about it while it was still there). I haven't had a chance to get any of the details about it from Gilly yet though. Next time I talk to him I'll mention the site and let him know that you'd like to talk to him. I do know that he's extremely busy right now though. I generally have to resort to being really annoying in order get a few minutes of his time. Fortunately, I've got enough squid fervor that pestering scientists comes quite naturally for me. It also helps that it only takes me about five minutes to ride my bicycle to his lab.

Jared said:
I did find out today that there was at least one Dosidicus held for a few days last week (I'm a little bit miffed that nobody told me about it while it was still there). I haven't had a chance to get any of the details about it from Gilly yet though. Next time I talk to him I'll mention the site and let him know that you'd like to talk to him. I do know that he's extremely busy right now though. I generally have to resort to being really annoying in order get a few minutes of his time. Fortunately, I've got enough squid fervor that pestering scientists comes quite naturally for me. It also helps that it only takes me about five minutes to ride my bicycle to his lab.

What a hoot! Go bang on his door and say someone wants to speak to him, pronto, now even, and that they'll not take 'no' for an answer. Tell him there's someone setting light traps for ommastrephids, using rather novel aquarium setups, and that they'd benefit from his experience (tremendously), and he may benefit from there's. Of course if he ever reads this he'll think I'm an arrogant fellow, but I'm anything but. I just want to see him succeed, as much as I want to, and two heads and two sets of experience are better than one. Also tell him that Discovery Channel said he should log on :wink: (coz yes, I've had words with people). You could also offer him a bribe. Jelly donuts work well with me (strangely nobody has offered me one yet, in over 12 months .... tragic really).

You're a lucky fellow Jared; could you refresh me on what it is you are doing (other than volunteer diver at the aquarium).
Cheers
Steve

HAh. At the MBL, we can only keep Loligo going for a couple days.... Then again, we're not trying to keep them alive, we're trying to rip out their axons and study them.

Oh, and Stevo? Do Dosidicus taste like ammonia, or are they tasty?

Hi Steve,
As far as Cabrillo goes, we had one in our holding tanks in the back. About 7 feet across these tanks are, with a flow tube [bubble] in and a filter tube out to our main supply. they are basically storage tanks, so their not very fancy. Did the trick though! I tried raising Loligo from eggs too. Boy! That's tough....
Cheers, Rona

PS. No squid yet at Aquarium of the Pacific either.... Yet........ :heee:

Rona said:
I tried raising Loligo from eggs too. Boy! That's tough....

Hi Rona; thanks for that. Did you have any luck with your Loligo? If at first you fail, try, try again! Lets get more squid out there on public display.

I tried raising Loligo eggs once.... (I have lots of access- THANKS MOM! :tentacle: ) I had an egg case in a yoghurt cup of seawater with an aeration device. They hatched, looked cute, and died.

.... well, in all likelihood it will be Nototodarus gouldi (that's in the immediate future, but it really depends on whether I can find the time to actually get out and catch them!).

Feb 13 to Feb 24 I'm doing the lecture circuit aboard the Odyssey for the AMNH (yup, the AMNH is coming to NZ and I'll be talking about squid for a couple of weeks aboard the vessel). No sooner have I finished that than I'm off to sea again Feb 26 through March 10, looking for the larval Architeuthis (just a short, weather-dependent series of overnight trips) - a story about this is planned for the New Yorker (so the plan goes), with one of their reporters accompanying us; worst-case scenario is I catch Moroteuthis only, but that in itself, if they 'stay alive', will be a world first (and I'll be kinda jolly happy coz I'll know that we can do this with Architeuthis). March 11 I'm double booked in 2 cities to give talks ... hmmmm .... (that's just not going to work), then another March 16. Post March 16 I've really have to knuckle down and do some Uni work, although I'm kinda pooped.

... kinda digressed there. Ooooops.
I've basically got 1 Feb through 12 Feb free to go chasing the Nototodarus, so cross fingers that all goes to plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back