Whale disposal

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
A major problem these days, with so many whales stranding.

We've just finished a two-year MAppSc thesis on the effects of cetacean disposal in beaches. Today we may have got ourselves a 20 ton whale to dispose of at sea, and monitor the effects of disposal (both organics and biological) on the sea bed.

I'll post away images of what happens here, a combination of ROV and surface photography. Hopefully in two days we get to sink a whale in relatively shallow water (30-40 metres). Exciting stuff.

I'll post an abridged version of the latest thesis in a couple of months (that's how long it will take for the review and edits to be made, if any of the latter), and a link to the thesis online, if you are interested.

This will definitely be worth watching! I saw an film several years ago where students experimented with a whale carcass and things did not go smoothly. Fun to watch but I would not have been able to hack the smell.

We're all set and head off tomorrow morning to go sink a whale. Rather exciting stuff. Will post pics very soon.

Fin Whale placed at 100' to study

I looked for a clip from the one I had see a couple of years ago but didn't locate it but this one is pretty good and shows the team dragging the Fin whale out to see and then going back later to what is growing there.

Sensational footage D! We'll do the same, promise! A TONMO.com exclusive!

I was hoping you would see it before you took off as I was impressed with how much info the were able to put in a small vid - too bad we can't do streaming on this one, would love to vicariously participate!

dwhatley;135454 said:
:tomato: and is why I would love to vacariously participate

:roflmao::roflmao: Indeed. The "bonus" of a seat to yourself on train wears off when you realise the aroma is in your pores, and is with you for at least 24 hours...

Tintenfisch;135458 said:
... or weeks... :roll:

Two things that I didn't expect after a day of "processing" stinky remains,

1/ that immediately after we finished I would be ravenously hungry for a big gravy filled meat pie

2/ that I would have to throw away my pillow days later because the aroma had somehow invaded it even after many showers and lot of soap

Yummy :roflmao::roflmao:

baldtankman;135455 said:
:roflmao::roflmao: Indeed. The "bonus" of a seat to yourself on train wears off when you realise the aroma is in your pores, and is with you for at least 24 hours...

Well dang, and here was i thinking it was you....BTW, just where are my waders?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back