Were nautiloids responsible?

Jean said:
MWAHAHAHAHAHA! fooled you all 'cackle':twisted:

Thanks for the kind words Keef but I actually know very little about these prehistoric beasties I just reckon that hole looks like what our whelks do to our clams!!!

J

Jean, exactly my point ! Kevin does the old stuff (sorry, and Sir Phil of Folkestone) & you can do the comparisons with the new stuff, so modest.

Keef

The only way to know anything at all about the "old stuff" is to study and understand the "new stuff" :grad:

As an aside, Phil, you're the archaeologist, is there a good way to determine that ancient people did'nt drill those holes (other than they were probably not found in an archaeological context and probably were found in a paleontological one)? Maybe i've just seen too many drilled trilobites lately :cyclops:

Architeuthoceras said:
The only way to know anything at all about the "old stuff" is to study and understand the "new stuff" :grad:

As an aside, Phil, you're the archaeologist, is there a good way to determine that ancient people did'nt drill those holes (other than they were probably not found in an archaeological context and probably were found in a paleontological one)? Maybe i've just seen too many drilled trilobites lately :cyclops:

Well, I'm not Phil!!!!!!!!!! nor an archaeologist (although I did do 2 semesters!) but my :twocents: I would think that for a human to drill through would be a waste of time when they could just bash it with a rock or prise it open with flint or other shells. whaddaya reckon?????

J

I found this picture of a drill hole from a predatory snail, Chione erosa from the Pliocene. Looks a lot like the brachiopod drill marks.

Attachments

• conv_288542.jpg
    conv_288542.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the pictures cuttlegirl, the holes look like they were made by the same driller. :smile:

By Jean: Well, I'm not Phil!!!!!!!!!! nor an archaeologist (although I did do 2 semesters!) but my I would think that for a human to drill through would be a waste of time when they could just bash it with a rock or prise it open with flint or other shells. whaddaya reckon?????

I was thinking about people drilling holes in the fossil (long after the nutritional value of the brachiopod had disappeared and the shell had fossilized) so they could be strung together like beads. If they were to bash it with a rock, they would have alot more pieces to drill holes in :wink:

By Spartacus: Kevin, I've only just noticed that you've been promoted, well done Sir !
Make sure Tony pays the going rate as Phil is apparently on phat bucks
Am I supposed to be getting paid :shock:

spartacus said:
Phil told me that it's moderating on Tonmo that enables him to run his new Jag , honest !

Keef

Er...no. I've got a very nice TONMO mug which holds about six pints of tea, but that's it. Unless I can run a Jaguar on Earl Gray, I'm not going very far I'm afraid.

architeuthoceras said:
I was thinking about people drilling holes in the fossil (long after the nutritional value of the brachiopod had disappeared and the shell had fossilized) so they could be strung together like beads. If they were to bash it with a rock, they would have alot more pieces to drill holes in

Slightly off topic but there is a British Archaeological Report (BAR series) that I've been trying to track down which records the use the use of ammonites and other fossils in such a manner. I'm sure I once read of a find of ammonites in an Anglo-Saxon grave, possibly in Norfolk, that had drilled in order to be threaded. (Please don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong, and I can't substantiate it at present!).

cuttlegirl said:
I found this picture of a drill hole from a predatory snail, Chione erosa from the Pliocene. Looks a lot like the brachiopod drill marks.

I see what you mean, very interesting. Maybe something similar was the culprit? Thanks for digging out the image.

This link may be of some interest as it shows a cross section of a drill mark with a central boss in a Oligocene gastropod:

http://caribjsci.org/aug03/39_221_223.pdf

Architeuthoceras said:
I was thinking about people drilling holes in the fossil (long after the nutritional value of the brachiopod had disappeared and the shell had fossilized) so they could be strung together like beads. If they were to bash it with a rock, they would have alot more pieces to drill holes in :wink:

True and of course we will go to far more effort for adornment rather than for mere food! I have a pic somewhere of a 35,000 year (I think)old grave where two children had been buried in ceremonial (?) clothes that were covered in thousands of beads made from shell and mammoth ivory. The work that went into the creation of the beads was incredible.

So yeah brachiopod beads would be right up there!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back