Well Vigo is actually Vigette

Jean;84582 said:
If they're fertile they'll develop eye spots and you'll be able to see the squirts changing colour. The darkening you mention...........if it's a kind of all over brownish...it's algae. The female octopus normally blows sea water over the eggs and brushes them gently with her arms to prevent algae forming and to keep the eggs oxygenated. If vigette is not in the tank then you need to take over this job, we use a turkey baster and gently squirt water over the eggs every so often.......but Mum will do a better job!

Good luck

J

They're so small I don't know if I could see eyes at all. They do appear to be a bit brownish. Moms in the tank with them so I'm hoping she's taking care of them.

Well she was fertile!! I currently have at least 100 babies swimming around the tank now. I have to admit they're alolt bigger than I thought they'd be. I know they have a very slim chance of survival but I guess wishful thinking could'nt hurt.

I just got home and checked on Vigo and her babies. I don't see any babies swimming around at all and Vigo's extremely pale. Is this the beginning of the end?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, it probably is :sad: It's a tough time for octo owners and can occur iimmediately after the eggs hatch, or a few weeks later, for most species.

Nancy

Latest Posts