Well, I dove back in...bigger pics inside..

Greetings all, it has been a while since my last octo.
About a month ago, I purchased what was called a "tank raised brown octopus".
I got it from the store I work at, and according to the distrib, it was tank raised. I don't know if I personaly believe that, but it HAS grown some since getting it.
That being said, I am not sure what it really is.
It was very shy for about 10 days, and now? It is out and about exploring all the time. If it's not against the glass looking at the cats (and vice versa!) it is crawling over the rocks and playing with hermit crabs.
I very happy considering the last 2 were both females that laid eggs within 2 weeks of bringing them home! lol.
If anybody has any idea, that would be grand! Thanks all! :smile:

Attachments

• conv_303721.jpg
    conv_303721.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 133
  • conv_303722.jpg
    conv_303722.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 119
The two photos look so different!

The first reminds me of Beldar (I really miss her :cry:) I am sure this is not a macropus but the look is similar and I don't find a photo of SueNami that does not show briareus webbing.

The second looks a bit like Kaysoh during acclimation but the the browns should be more peach.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the replys. :smile:

A few things about the mottling, it is a new trick for the little guy. He just started doing that, I have the "fiji black" live sand. So it has the black spread thruout.
It seems to be VERY active fo large parts of the day, does not seem to hide much. And has taken shrimp from my fingers and even explored my hand with an arm for a few moments before darting off.
I will try for more pictures as I get the time for them.

Thanks again all!

Upvote 0
I have arbritarily assigned a two week wait and see time for new octos viability and behavior characteristic observations but being out in the day, even during tank acclimation is not normal for a nonsenescent briareus or nocturnal. That arm to mantle ratio looks so much like Bel's but I think all variations of the macropus complex are nocturnal (not even crepcecular like the briareus) so we need MORE PHOTOS to keep guessing. It would be very cool if we are seeing some new species in the home aquarium mix (even though I have not yet managed to keep some of the common).

What kind of den facility/live rock do have in the tank?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back