• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Weird GPO Behavior

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
How old is this GPO?
I know my smaller octopus did something like this as it came closer to her end. Sad to say.

Severine

Cuttlefish
Supporter
If I had to guess, 2.5-3 years. I do wonder if somehow the statocyst was damaged either during capture and/or transport. It doesn't seem to be a constant behavior, it's pretty irregular. Concerning all the same.

Severine

Cuttlefish
Supporter
To give an update: it seems to be increasing in frequency. It’s happened at least once a day over the last 4 days. I’m at a loss. I still think it may be damage to the statocyst, so I am going reach out to a physiologist I know as well. Thank you to everyone who has reached out.

Attachments

• 0F97E75C-3342-4EDF-B12A-D382C408605D.jpeg
    0F97E75C-3342-4EDF-B12A-D382C408605D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 4E8E03E5-E6AF-4A50-AEB0-F9145FA9299D.mov
    17 MB · Views: 10

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
To give an update: it seems to be increasing in frequency. It’s happened at least once a day over the last 4 days. I’m at a loss. I still think it may be damage to the statocyst, so I am going reach out to a physiologist I know as well. Thank you to everyone who has reached out.

Pretty certain this is end of life behavior. Mine did this as she neared the end of her time. Also talking to another octopus owner over here she mentioned that this is a sign of age.
Hopefully I'm wrong as it's always sad but this has been my experience.

perke

O. vulgaris
Registered
I have seen something similar in a GPO before where it was barrel rolling on the ground, our speculation was that it was damage to the optic lobe or lesion on the brain. John Messenger did some great work on brain lesions in octopus (common octopus) and how they effect their behaviour and it seemed similar to what we were seeing. It could be there is an infection that is progressing, whether it is because of senesence is another question. Is the octopus still taking food? If so you could try a Baytril in food treatment for the animal.

Please update us on this - I would like to know what caused this behaviour. Whatever it is, I was first inclined to say it's a statocyst problem as it affects their orientation and this octopus seems to be trying to "right" itself. The octopus' old age is more than likely playing a part in this abnormal behaviour too.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guillermo Oro Marcos

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak