Weather 2017 - Hurricane Irma, CA Wildfires, Winter Storms

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
We had a brief thread about Hurricane Harvey in our Supporters forum, but I wanted to create a public one for Irma... It seems this morning this will be going up the West coast which is not good news for our friends at and around Mote Labs & Aquarium. Please stay safe!

I know @beccalopod (Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum Sanibel Island) has evacuated via plane for parts far north. I am hoping that @Brian Siegel or someone from Mote will check in either here or on FB. I am hoping @ceph will be OK since the worst appears to be going up the western coast (he has recorded so far so good on FB). This is particularly scary since he JUST acquired a Coral Seas Aquarium as a new endeavour.

So far so good but we will get the worst of it tomorrow. I brought in our trash cans and some outdoor cushions. I may meed to find a place for the outside benches and chairs as well and am hoping the plastic roof of our gazebo and green house will not get destroyed with the wind. :fingerscrossed: for everyone in Irma's continuously changing path.

Unfortunately, we lost a BIG tree that is now blocking our road, trapping 3 families in the cul de sac. It IS possible to leave by going down one driveway and then up the other but most people are afraid to try it, especially with the wet leaves. Fortunately, no one was hurt and our insurance should cover the damage to the neighbor's storage shed. We are waiting for the adjuster to guide us on how to remove the tree as it is far too big for use to try to cut up and move.
irmaTree_02.JPG irmaTree_04.JPG irmaTree_05.JPG

Neighbors with a small chain saw and trucks cut out and moved two chunks of tree to open up the street. We are hoping the county will move most of the tree but have not seen them since we called. There are still a lot of folks without power, power lines down and trees on roofs so it may be awhile before anyone will talk about removal since there is not a passageway.

Hi Ceph community,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Mote Marine Lab and Aquarium got through Irma, without any major issues. In some amazing way we never lost power at the Aquarium during storm and we had a fantastic "Ride Out Team" that stayed on site during the storm. Our new Summerland Key building did suffer some external damage, but all Mote Staff, volunteers, and interns are safe and sound. Thank you all for the well wishes.
have a good one,
Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back