• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Wayne - Macropus Complex First Ever Octopus

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Also you can try fresh raw table shrimp in small pieces. I am sure you have read how most use a feeding stick of some sort. Mine liked fresh bait shrimp but not all do and if your not by the coast you might not be able to get them. Also you can try silversides or any other small fish. Dead of course. I dont know if you can get ghost shrimp or grass shrimp. They are small About an inch and most of the time transparent. what I am getting at is to try different things. Some might work and others might not. I have no idea if you have bait stores where you are but I found them to be a great place to get cheap food for octos.

Niall

Cuttlefish
Registered
He is still hiding at the moment (its 7pm, I don't want to go in about the rocks looking for him, but can't see any sign of him) so will take some pictures/videos when he comes out. What is the easiest way to identify his sex? Or does it vary by species?

I've got some PVC tubes in there, and a Y-piece undergravel (I thought he might appreciate a few pre-built tunnels and den haha), so plenty of places for him to chill out after his travels. I have kept many different fish and animals, but already this is my favourite. Last night he was watching the fish in my big 500 reef :smile:

I will check for local bait stores and make sure he gets some good food in him! I wouldn't want to take anything from our coasts cause our seas are pretty nasty up here! :smile: I work for a lfs and we can order in live feeder shrimp, which are about an inch, so will definitely try some of them.

Another stupid question... do different colours mean different things? Or do they just usually pick a colour that matches their surroundings? For example, does red/black indicate they are stressed or angry?

Thanks again for all your help :smile:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi Niall,

Welcome to you and your new octopus! Octopuses have not been so easy to find in Scotland, so glad to hear this project has worked out for you. That's a good looking octopus!

Where in Scotland are you?

Looking forward to more photos,

Nancy

Niall

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your warm welcome. :smile:

I'm up in Inverness, capital of the Highlands.

Will definitely be updating this with more as he gets more confidence with me,

Niall

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
You must be the first person in the Highlands ever to keep an octopus!
Some years ago I coauthored a book on keeping octopuses with a former Tonmo staff member who lives near Glascow, Colin Dunlop.You might be interested in it (Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes in the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King) It contains at least one photo of collecting octo food along the coast of Scotland. The book is now out of print but some copies are still available.

Nancy

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
on the question of color IMO yes and no. LOL sorry I will be more specific. With the O.Briareus that I had it was more about his surroundings or at least it seemed to be. Since I never really saw him get mad i am not sure. What I can tell you is this was a very different thing with the vulgaris I had 15+ years ago. If he did not like something he would get very red. There are people with much more knowledge about this then me. i have kept 6 octos and 4 species and everyone was different. Mind you also some are very smart and let you know what they want. Others not so much. DWhatley calls the O.Briareus the blonde of the octo world. I would agree. I was just reading an article that Octobot posted about the Vulgaris from the gulf of mexico possible being smarter then other octos. This I would agree with also. There are several species that are commonly kept that I have not had yet. I would like to keep a bimac but in FL I would need a very good chiller"which I have" and plenty of money for the power bill that goes with it.

Niall

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thanks for your info :smile:

Here are some more photos of him (or her) at 2am this morning. Seems to be exploring one corner of the tank in particular... He has been crawling up the corner and poking his head up to the water line (but not out of the water) and darting back down again. Seems to be sussing out his surroundings.

Let me know what species you think, and gender too if possible :smile:

Photo 14-08-2014 01 51 40.jpg Photo 14-08-2014 01 51 42.jpg

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Could this be O. luteus, the Starry Night Octopus? Look at some of te images online.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Here is a thread with photos that will help you try to determine Wayne's sex.

I strongly believe this is one of the Macropus complex. The ability to raise the skin where it shows white spots further suggests the unnamed species in the photo below (Cephalopods A World Guide, Norman revised 2003 pg 254). Norman mentions its similarity to O. luteus but the papillae would point to his Octopus sp. 8.
norman_macropusSp.jpg

I do think that color changes are a communication device. Translating what is bring communicated is not clear even for researchers trying to study behavior. I have only kept two in the complex (different from this one) and the only time I saw the brilliant red with bright white spots was shortly after coming to live in the tank, before it was accustomed to my presence. Once fully acclimated to tank life, I never saw the display again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak