*waves shyly* um...hi?

msamaki said:
and yes, i also love bats! and rats! i love all animals, now that you mention it. (except maybe scorpions, they scare the heck out of me...:goofysca:)

Don't like scorpions? That's a pallid bat's favorite evening meal! :mrgreen:

three cheers for the pallid bat.
i don't mind them (scorpions) behind glass, but the idea of being stung by one really doesn't appeal to me. that gives me nighmares. funny, because most other venemous creatures i'm not as terrified of.

oh, and i just came back from "rescuing" a friend from a house spider. it's beyond me why so many people are scared of such a tiny little creature.

but then, looking at BROs and poison dart frogs...

edit: oi, i just realized it's 11:45... vacations will do that to you.

yeah like i said i was just a kid so it was in my nature to catch things as (pets) but as is said no harm came to it and i released it later that day. i still see wild bats from time to time usually wedged up in the overhangs of local convient stores with bug attracting bright lights. i used to work at lps some many years ago and one of regulars had a pet bat. i dont what species but it was bigger then the locals and red. she brought it in a few times and it was very social. we would donate feeder bugs to see it being fed by hand. dont remember what kind of enviorment she kept for it but it seemed to be doing well. except for the dameged wing(it was a rescue) i believe thats why she was keeping it.

I'm a fan of the vampyromorph bat - basically a vampire squid, but it has bat wings where it's fins ought to be and uses them to get tangled in peoples' hair when they come to the seaside.

I was out doing a newt survey the other night and the Daubentons bats were constantly skimming the surface of the pond catching small bugs. Shame its virtually impossible to photograph.
Also erich, we have put up even more of the large woodcrete bat hibernacula this year, might be interesting pics when we survey through this winter???

I can hardly wait! Gearing up for the October 14th Bat Show here in Hollywood - my major annual Autumn event - so I'll be bat-obsessed over the next couple months or so.

erich orser said:
I'm a fan of the vampyromorph bat - basically a vampire squid, but it has bat wings where it's fins ought to be and uses them to get tangled in peoples' hair when they come to the seaside.
You make me laugh, thank you. :smile: I like those guys, too.

I'd love to have a NZ bat but they are rather rare. There are only two surviving genera, the long tailed bat Chalinolobus and two species of short tailed bat Mystacina robusta and M. tuberculata

The short tailed bats are unusual in that they are ground hunters using their folded wings as limbs to scuttle around and the males are lek breeders. I believe there is a recovery plan afoot to try and increase the numbers.

These bats are NZ's only endemic land mammals (all the rest are marine!!) but they are REALLY cute!

J

I was lucky enough to see footage of those ground-attack bats scurrying through the underbrush savaging wetas. They appear to have occupied a slot usually reserved for rodents.

here it goes

fish
fishing
keeping fish prisoner in glass boxes so i can watch them look like mimes
wildlife
hunting
camping
sleeping
eating
root beer
octopuses
sleeping more
cs
anime
driving really fast around corners
watching my octo dismantle crabs
watching movies
tv
food
shooting guns
archery
boating in general
building kayaks
kayaking
got a strange obsession with building the perfect skimmer... so far the best one is the most basic with sports ill. swim suit ed. cup from hardees on top...
taking long roadtrips just to go to fish stores in another city
staring into nothingness(do this alot)
obsession with carving antlers with a dremel tool( very weird considering i like the smell of burning bone)
guitars
music
old vinyl records
writing obsession list
tonmo.com
tonmo.com
my reef tank
reefcentral.com
simpsons
athf
family guy
adult swim in general

ok now ive lost intrest in this topic so im going now

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back