• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Water for Cephs

I think all the points are valid but just stick to what works... the advised safest way to make water for cephs is either RO water or distilled water and a good brand of salt...

I use Tropic Marin for example and can count 69 elements that are listed on the label... so that's not just salt

"The essential elements in ocean water most likely are not coming out of your tap water. Regardless of what type of water you use, are you not adding any chems, trace elements,, kalkwasser, etc. to your reef? I never look to water as my sole source of nutrition for my corals." -Neptune

Neptune, I never said tap water replaces minerals found in ocean water. Neither does spring, distilled, etc. I just don't want all the minerals taken out (i.e. distilled). It's a very common practice amongst reefers. The only thing I add to my reef is kalk and iodine (both are absorbed rapidly by many things). Nothing else. I measure alkalinity/ph once per week. Of course water isn't the sole source of nutrition for your corals--food is. Not sure what you meant by that.

Nancy--great point. Spring water from different areas has different concentrations of minerals, absolutely. If you use spring water, you need to find a brand you trust, after doing water tests (copper, etc).

Colin--I agree. Whatever works. As John Madden coined, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back