Wanted! Octopus garden sculpture

Hi all!

I'm looking for a rather odd item...it seems so obvious, yet I've not had any luck so far, and I love hunting things down... :frown:

I want an octopus garden sculpture. Not just any sculpture, either. You know the sea serpent or "Nessie"-type desk sculptures that are rather popular these days, the sorts that come in a few pieces and are made to look like the undulating beastie is swimming in your desk? I'd like an octopus sculpture that uses that same concept. Much larger, and of course made to look as though he's half-in half-out of the garden soil, with arms sticking up out of the soil here and there. Of course, since he would be multiple pieces, I could arrange the arms any way I like.

He could be any sort of construction. I imagine concrete would be cheaper, but I'm sure many materials would work. I imagine a design that could imply an octo roughly six feet in armspan, but I think I've already laid out a pretty impossible challenge :P , so size is quite negotiable. As is price. I wouldn't be averse to paying $100, or perhaps more...I suppose it all depends on the item and what it's like.

Anyway...I know this is much too specific to expect to find, but...if anyone would know, Tonmo.com would!

rusty

Ahoy Rusty,

Do you mean something like this?

Found that at the Arizona Department of Water Resources site. The garden octo was part of the 2003 competition for water-smart garden designs. In fact, it was part of a winning design, credited to Mrs. Wendy Timm. No idea if she was the sculpture artist, or what material the octopus is made of.

All Hail Google.

Yours truly,

Clem

Hi again! Sorry, I've been a bit "away..."

Yes, Clem, that's perfect! :notworth: :heee: Of course, it looks bronze and expensive, but nonetheless that's exactly what I'm looking for. How did you find that (or did you already know of it?) I wonder what the odds of getting a replica from the artist or something like that are...

rusty

Hello Rusty,

I flickered past the garden octopus on an image hunt two weeks ago, but didn't look at it until you posted your request.

Bronze it may be, but it could also be a cement or plaster casting painted with a "bronze in a bottle" surface coating. For your wallet's sake, I hope that's what it is.

It's a bit of a stretch, but perhaps you could ask Mrs. Timm about it? I'll bet she's fielded requests for information about her garden. Perhaps someone at the AZ Water Conservation site could help you out.

Good luck. I'll try some other searches, too.

Yous truly,

Clem

Actually, yeah, I fired off an email when I found her website. Short answer:

Yes, this is the original work of Wendy Timm, an Arizonan artist working mostly in "High fired" stoneware (I'm not exactly sure what high firing is...higher than normal temperature kilns?) When I can access the account her email is in (away from it right now) I'll reprint what she told me about them. Stay tuned! :heee:

rusty

yep, stoneware is fired at about 1.5x the heat of reg clay...should be nice and pricey...but still cheaper than bronze!!!

and it would last until your first rain storm...the downfall of garden sculpture!!!

Apologies, it's been hectic...here are the specifics of Wendy Timm's octo sculpture. A short summary of it: The octopus is not available for sale, but she is likely to make something like it again on her own time. She might also be willing to make one on commission. The price would probably be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range, at least for one of that size and complexity. Perhaps even higher depending on what it is and what's requested. Wendy's email is below:

Rusty, I received your email, thank you for the kind words. The Octopus sculpture is one of my creations, actually the very first I installed in my backyard. My way of bringing the ocean closer to the desert. My sculptures are one of a kind pieces individually constructed with high fire stoneware clay. The Octopus has been in the yard for seven years now, with no problems what so ever, I also have a squid sculpture near the pool. At the present neither is available for sale, I have other creatures you may want to check put on my web site www.wendytimm.com and from time to time do commissions and specialty pieces so keep in touch with me. I will keep your letter on file for more info. My sculpture prices usually range from $150-1500. The Octopus would be on the higher end. Anyways, sea life has always remained a favorite subject and no doubt I will do more. Sincerely, Wendy Timm

Garden scuplture

rrtanton;28947 said:
Hi all!
Try www.uncommongoods.com, they have a fabulous and big oe!

I'm looking for a rather odd item...it seems so obvious, yet I've not had any luck so far, and I love hunting things down... :frown:

I want an octopus garden sculpture. Not just any sculpture, either. You know the sea serpent or "Nessie"-type desk sculptures that are rather popular these days, the sorts that come in a few pieces and are made to look like the undulating beastie is swimming in your desk? I'd an octopus sculpture that uses that same concept. Much larger, and of course made to look as though he's half-in half-out of the garden soil, with arms sticking up out of the soil here and there. Of course, since he would be multiple pieces, I could arrange the arms any way I like.

He could be any sort of construction. I imagine concrete would be cheaper, but I'm sure many materials would work. I imagine a design that could imply an octo roughly six feet in armspan, but I think I've already laid out a pretty impossible challenge :P , so size is quite negotiable. As is price. I wouldn't be averse to paying $100, or perhaps more...I suppose it all depends on the item and what it's like.

Anyway...I know this is much too specific to expect to find, but...if anyone would know, Tonmo.com would!

rusty

Try www. Uncommongoods.com, they have a fabulous and big one. http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/octopus-garden-sculpture

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back