• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Want a cuttle or octo but still exploring

Hello

I have looked into a reef aquarium for quite a while now and I came across a cephlo site and checked it out. I immediately wanted one. However I don't have much money and need a species that can live in a 30-50 gallon tank and not be uncomfortable. I need a ceph that will be fairly easy to care for and won't kill me :lol: . The only fish tank I have had is a 10 gall fresh. so please give all specs you can for care. Some species I thought looked cool:

http://www.tonmo.com/gallery//displayimage.php?pos=-238

http://www.tonmo.com/gallery//albums/userpics/massive upload/normal_cuttlefishsideDSCN8045.JPG

Ocythoe tuberculata

Thanks

Welcome to Tonmo ! Be sure to read all of the care sheets and articles written here, that will help you choose which type of ceph you end up with!
greg

Thanks for the welcome and the help. I'd still like to know where I might be able to get an Octopus Wolfi, Bimac, That awesome blue-eyed cuddle in my avi or this guy:

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/images/avatars/photo-ocyth3_sm.jpg

Help with finding these guys and finding more out about them would be greatly appriciated.

Again I am looking for an octo/cuddle that can be in a 30-50 gallon tank and one of the ones I like. If I could please have the specs of these ones from someone that knows them so that I will know what I need

Thanks!

You'll have a hard time finding most cephs that aren't aquacultured. Bimacs are about the only thing aquacultured now, and 50 gallons seems to be about the minimum for them.

Culturing has begun of dwarf cuttlefish, but availability is a matter of luck and contacts. I believe your tank size range may be ideal for them. Check out this link

Dan

Everyone seems to have the Bimac, and he seems to be the easiest to get, so I guess I'd have to get him if I were to get one. Either him or that cuddle in my avi (if I ever find out what kind he is:-/ ) will have to be good for me, seeing as how I will probably not be able to get an O. Wolfi.

I have some questions about the Bimac. Does he change color? How big does he get (I read about one in a 30 gall, so would a 38 eclipse w/ saltwater setup be good)? Do they bite, and if they do is it poisonous? Is there a trustable place to get them.

Thanks to all that have helped already and all that will help

shipposhack said:
Everyone seems to have the Bimac, and he seems to be the easiest to get, so I guess I'd have to get him if I were to get one. Either him or that cuddle in my avi (if I ever find out what kind he is:-/ ) will have to be good for me, seeing as how I will probably not be able to get an O. Wolfi.

I have some questions about the Bimac. Does he change color? How big does he get (I read about one in a 30 gall, so would a 38 eclipse w/ saltwater setup be good)? Do they bite, and if they do is it poisonous? Is there a trustable place to get them.

Thanks to all that have helped already and all that will help

The most "concentrated" info on bimacs is here:
Cephalopod Care

There are many bimac experts about, which I am not (maybe someday!) but I know some quick answers:

50 gallons is the min recommended by TONMO folks, they do change color, the favorite source for bimacs is octopets, and they bite occasionally but not nearly as often as other species, and their toxin doesn't seem to affect humans significantly. Another reason they're considered particularly good pets is that they seem to be less likely to try to escape the tank and go exploring, although they still do often enough that it's important to secure the tank against that possibility.

You should probably look at some of the other articles under the ceph care tab at the top of the page, as well-- many of your questions are answered in some detail there...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back