Visit to the Moody Gardens aquarium

I finally visited the aquarium at Moody Gardens here in Galveston for the first time this past sunday. I was very pleased with what I found and wish I could go back there on a regular basis, but the admission fee is a bit too much for me to do that.

They supposedly had a blue ring octopus. I stood vigilantly next to the tank for a long time searching in vain for it. I later found out from Leigh at the NRCC that they dont have one right now and are (or are going to) subtitute a bimac in it's place! Hah, no one will notice that little white lie.

I was thrilled to see a banded sea krait for the first time. I wish it had been more visible, but it was curled up and mostly blocked from view. All I could see was it's body and it's flattened tail, but that was enough.

Also of interest were also a couple nautilus, many of the cutest juvenile bamboo sharks, black-spotted morays, and zebra sharks. There was a nice section devoted to various sea horses and pipefish. The carribean tank was amazing, though. I have no idea exactly how big it was, but it was great to get to see. Visitors walked through a tunnel under the tank with water on all sides. They were attempting to feed the sharks when i was there. They have them trained with extra bright lighting on the water to come close if they are hungry whenever it is on. Then, they toss in the food of the day (it was squid this time) and keep a close eye on who gets it (sharks or the swarms of fish).

There was an exhibit of all the most dangerous animals in the world going on, which contained the sea krait and the supposed blue ring. Also in there was a large electric eel (which i was thrilled to see), various deadly snakes and spiders (including that bird-eating spider, yikes). At the end of the exhibit, there was a plaque for the deadliest animal on earth. This was directly under a mirror. (har har). sad but true.

At the end of it all, I made my usual stop into the gift shop to see what i found. Maybe half of all the stuffed toys they had were cephs!! There were various squid (including giant), cuttlefish, two different types of finned octopus! I bonded with one and it followed me home to join my ceph collection.

"At the end of the exhibit, there was a plaque for the deadliest animal on earth. This was directly under a mirror. (har har). sad but true." -Fluffysquid

Speak for yourself. I'm not an animal.

Crevalle said:
"At the end of the exhibit, there was a plaque for the deadliest animal on earth. This was directly under a mirror. (har har). sad but true." -Fluffysquid

Speak for yourself. I'm not an animal.

You seem quite intelligent for a plant. :smile:

Fluffysquid, thanks for sharing all of this. And for making me jealous, again.

yay, ive been there too... i went with nancy and my favourite stuff was actually non-cephy (dont be too angry :P) It was the arapaima gigas, the scarlet ibis.. the frogs and a blue eyed panaque!

really nice place :smile:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Bamboo sharks- I love, i was temted to either buy the newborns or the eggs from my LFS but I guess we all know buying on impulse doesn't usually end well. :frown:

Arapaimas too, I wanted to keep them after seeing them at the Underwater World here. There were a few small ones in stock at an arowana farm but sadly I didn't have a largge enough tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back