Video of maginatus movement

OK, you will have to forgive my shaky amateur work, here. It was my first trip using a GoPro and I had no previous practice. I learned a lot, but what I have NOT learned yet, is how to edit the clips to get rid of the bad moments.

This video was on a night dive. Our guide was showing how the marginatus feels movement through the sand to find crabs and fish buried there. He pushes his sand spike (normally used to push in the sand to stabilize your position). The octo feels it and dives for it. It becomes very obvious to the octo he is being tricked and he throws a little tantrum, dashing at the guide. What follows is good video of the "bipedal" type movement.

In no way was this guy harassed other than my following it. When he hid, the video was stopped.

GREAT video! The fact that you kept the animal in the center of the focus for the duration gets my major applause, I can't do this with a tripod and aquarium tank yet!

I have another video of a blue ring octo, but I hesitate to show it. All was going well, until the octo started to lose its' alarm and go back to its' natural coloration. Then, the dive guide went up and tapped the octo with his sand spike (something I had not seen him do, previously). I went all nasty on him and was so mad, I forgot to turn the video off while I was making nasty at him. Needless to say, the end of the video is, well.......

I need someone to teach me how to edit so I can edit this last bit out. I do not ever advocate touching or directly irritate animals any more than my presence will irritate them.

There are two pieces of software I use to edit videos (I own purchased copies of both).

The one I have used over the last year or so is on sale ATM but will still cost you about $50 (MAGIX Video). The learning curve is short and there is an intro video (I have not watched) that may be helpful.

The other, VideoPad, has a free trial but it may stamp your video with the editor name (not sure if this is still true). The company is notorious for installing a lot of add ons but will now (not always the case) allow you to decline their installation (recommended). This one is also on sale (until Jan 15) and the simple addition is $30 (normally $50).

Both are easy to use and support HD output but I have come to like MAGIX best. Alternately, if you have a dropbox account, you can send it to me and I can make the edit and send it back (PM me for my account email address)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back