• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Very strange indeed....

Today I went snorklin' whith my bro. :snorkel: We went to a nearby point and while we were out I saw an octopus. I got it to come out of its den by pocking it with the handle of my net. When it cam out of the hole I grabbled it then it slipped loose and jetted away leaving a trail of ink. And my brother hunted it down for about a minute until he grabbed it with his hands! Anyway a couple of hours later its sitting in my tank already established with its own little den, and doing fine (I think). :? Anyway it is very weird because I thought it was a Hawaiian day octo but on closer inspection I noticed that it had spots just like a bimac! But... the 2 sppots were brown and black! whats with that!? I dont think bimacs live in Oahu HI. Anybody have any thoughts on the subject? I wuv my new octo.. He he he! :smile:

Hey, just a question. You mentioned before that you live near a little "cove" were you go and play with the octopuses there.
Can you tell me a little more about it? LIke...is the cover small, like a tiny mini beach with water? and how do you play with them? are they located very close to shore? Do you like the way they feel? And how big are the ones in the cove?
I love touching bigger octopuses. There so amazing.

You need to find out which octos are found in the area - yours will most likely be one of them.

And I don't think you're the only ceph lover in Hawaii - we've had a number of people from Hawaii, they just aren't online now. (I found 8 in our list of members, but only about 1/3 of the people give their location, so most likely there are more.)

Nancy

O.k.

I will look into it. Nope no beach, jus water. And octos have a very strange feeling to them it is very funny to touch them. The octos at the point get several feet long. :smile: I think the octo was half way through his life already but still fairly small compared to other octos ive caught.

Re: O.k.

Octomush said:
I will look into it. Nope no beach, jus water. And octos have a very strange feeling to them it is very funny to touch them. The octos at the point get several feet long. :smile: I think the octo was half way through his life already but still fairly small compared to other octos ive caught.

It's just water??? Like...a pool of water full of octopuses??? sounds strange. 7 foot octos in a pool of water.
Anbyways...how deep is this so called puddle of water or pool of water? It HAS to be a little deep considering you always find octopuses in it.

Its actually more like a cove.... It is like 1-6 ft. and is stone riddled with odd sized holes. That is where the octos are. And then it drops aff all the sudden and get deep as like 20 ft. And along that wall there are the larger octos. Get it?

ever had GPO suckers sticking to ya? Now getting lots of those all over your arms really makes it difficult to disengage yourself from! gotta love those guys.

Yea, PLEASE post pics of the cove. I really wanna see. And if you can even get one of those 7 foot octos to the shallow area...and take a picture that will be awesome. But yea, as you descirbed...its a basically a "mini" beach. That's what a COVE IS. Iv been to a cove before, and its a beach. Or just...something. It's basically a small area of land leading into a very, very small body or area or peice of the ocean. Almost like your going into a lake except more shallow. And yea, coves basically starrt out shallow from 1-8 or even 10 feet deep...and then suddenly drop down to deeper levels which lead more into the ocean area. I LOVE coves because you get to see animals more there...and its not like the "beach, beach" everything gets blown or drifted away by the huge waves and currents. A cove is just like a lake. Calm, and small. You get to interact with the animals there better than at the beach, beach.

But like I said, if you could get pictures PLEASE post them. I would love to see them...and mabye one day just go there...lol...if I ever got the chance.

Damn...I REALLY REALLY wanna go to that damn cove. Your tempting me, lol...if only that damn woman and family wouldn't have speared all those octopuses and saying they are Squids in a rude way with an attitude.
A number of people in this world hardly know ANYTHING about Octopus or squids...about 60% think Octopuses are squids...and squids are octopuses...while 40% think there the same animals. I would feel so sorry for watch those octopuses get speared, torchered to death...I REALLY hate watching them get speared...forced into a bag of sand...and then chopped up, or even worse....letting them be torchered by letting them sit in the sun all day on land with no help...god...and people who fish for octopuses just treat them as they would to anything. I's just like killing a human being...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back