Vampy

I've always wondered how come no-one ever captures things like this alive? Say have a big cage with bait and a camera so you can close the door if you manage to get it inside, then very slowly bring it back up. Im geussing that pressure doesn't make a difference?

I'd love to see a vamp in a public aquarium, and wouldn't a live specimen be the best way to study this?

ROV's have brought (and do occasionally bring) some up to be studied. With no gas space in their body, the pressure change doesn't phase them so much as the potential oxygen and temp shock (they live in the cold oxygen minimum layer), but those factors can be controlled for.

Steve O said:
V. diabilis/bolis was invented for the camera, but that's not to say that there's only a single species of Vampyroteuthis. This one is nomen dubium, but it could be a good species nevertheless; I'm pretty sure that there'll be more than one species tied up in this. It would be nice for someone to do a Masters or PhD on the subject, looking at material from around the world (of which there is a lot).

So...there might be more than one single species? Does anyone one who is less stupid than me elaborate? I'm pretty sure that a sluggish swimmer in a enviroment that lacks oxygen is not really gonna do a big migration..no?

Steve O'Shea said:
but it could be a good species nevertheless; I'm pretty sure that there'll be more than one species tied up in this. It would be nice for someone to do a Masters or PhD on the subject, looking at material from around the world (of which there is a lot).

Hey that's right up my alley, I'd love to do a masters on the subject... just give me five years. I'm only a freshman in university at this time!:lol:

ME TOO! But the similarities don't stop there. I'm from London, Ont studying marine biology at DalHousie (with a future hope of working with cephs)! Actually, a good friend of mine is out in BC doing marine biology work as well. She's a first year too. She wants to do cetacean (whale) stuff though. Boring!

Cheers!

Tintenfisch said:
Yeah, those charismatic megafauna... what a drag. :roll: Yawn city!
I see "charismatic megafauna" as applicable to whales as it is to Messie or Archie :razz:

Tintenfisch said:
(Hey Steve, the brainwashing worked! :wink: )
So THAT was what it was!!! I've been wondering why I can't remember 3 months of my life and am suddenly filled with an insatiable desire to grow a mustache! :madsci: :lol:

In truth though, whales aren't so bad. They are fascinating, but my new brain chemistry just doesn't think too much of it. And three 'Cheers!' for first year students who thought that finally they'd be studying their field of interest and still AREN'T!

Cheers!
Cheers!
Cheers!
(ok, got a little carried away)

Perhaps there lurks in the deep a megafauna vampyromorph...Vampyromegateuthis nosferatis... yet to be discovered. You could get a quick PhD out of that!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back