Urban Legend...

Hi! This is the first time i've the octopus variation lol. These tend start a life of their own after a while. I was also intrigue by ur name and noticed you are a vet. tech. I was hoping you reveal whether or not there is any "truth" to the suspicious statement that animals would ever commit suicide(give up). I appreciate your opinion very much. Experience is key here and you have more then me for sure

Life Quiz;82775 said:
Hi! This is the first time i've the octopus variation lol. These tend start a life of their own after a while. I was also intrigue by ur name and noticed you are a vet. tech. I was hoping you reveal whether or not there is any "truth" to the suspicious statement that animals would ever commit suicide(give up). I appreciate your opinion very much. Experience is key here and you have more then me for sure

Sure animals give up and let themselves die. Sometimes they starve themselves to death.

There is what is believed to be a disease (and is cerainly a real phenomenon) in octopuses that causes them to eat their own arms. Whether "disease induced insanity" is the same as "suicide" is open to interpretation, of course. See here for example or forum search for "autophagy".

The beachings of whales that Steve O's group studies come to mind as well: are cetacean groundings "suicide," or just confusion/disease? They don't seem to serve any altruistic purpose for the rest of the pod. I seem to remember that the stories of suicidal lemmings are urban (or rural?) legends, but whale groundings seem pretty similar in behavior to the classic lemming stories.

monty;82800 said:
I seem to remember that the stories of suicidal lemmings are urban (or rural?) legends, but whale groundings seem pretty similar in behavior to the classic lemming stories.

You can blame Walt Disney for that. The producers of a Disney nature documentary chased a number of lemmings off a cliff for the cameras.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back