• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Upgrading to a 120 gallon

That is a good idea but my tanks are in the kitchen and living room, not practical for me. I would like a system for water changes so I could pump it straight out to a drain then fresh salted water up to my tanks.

You dont use a hose and power head? I didnt for a long time... tons of buckets LOTS of water spills then I got smart and read a forum or two and realized I was killing myself for nothing.

They sell something like that from foster and smith. Its like 2000$. You add the RO and salt and I think it actually mixes it for you. All you do is run the hose. Now that would rock. I would love to have a large wide mouthed water storage container that I can put my mag 24 in, that way its the same thing for me... add sea water add a touch of salt then let it run with the hose. I'd be sitting pretty:cool2:

I bought a 50 foot hose and an aqua zoo pump... I walk the hose to the bathroom and put the lid on the toilet down to hold it in place while the hose is being held in place by a clamp at the tank to drain. To fill I have a large trash can that I mix my water in... I use the same hose and power head to refill the tank so I just move the power head and clamp. Works perfectly... the only problem I had at first was remembering that the suction from the power head wouldnt stop just cause I unpluged it... so I actually have to brake the suction on the power head and hose to get it to stop once unpluged.

CaptFish;156263 said:
OH COOL, I just saw the Jeep! I have a Red '99 TJ wrangler, 4.0, with all the stuff for going in the mudd, Tires, snorkel. lift kit. I am Jeep lover BIG TIME!

You guys are all the same! I'll post a photo when they are done. God knows there will be enough of them on my memory card. Every time they work on it he takes a lot.
You didn't really kill the neighbors grass..Me thinks my chain is getting pulled.

sk252006;156264 said:
I bought a 50 foot hose and an aqua zoo pump... I walk the hose to the bathroom and put the lid on the toilet down to hold it in place while the hose is being held in place by a clamp at the tank to drain. To fill I have a large trash can that I mix my water in... I use the same hose and power head to refill the tank so I just move the power head and clamp. Works perfectly... the only problem I had at first was remembering that the suction from the power head wouldnt stop just cause I unpluged it... so I actually have to brake the suction on the power head and hose to get it to stop once unpluged.

I keep my make up water in the basement, where would I get a pump large enough to pump it up to the 1st floor? Great idea for draining the tank though as long as you don't mix up the ends!

I am back in the garage!! Was able to do a little work on the stand. This is going slow.

I bought a mag drive 24 which has a max head of 18 feet. At 10 to 15 feet your flow rate is between 600 and 900 gph which is a nice slow rate so that you can still control the water and it gives you time to go shut off the water down stairs with out needing a second person or flow valves. Thats what I use to pull the water from the garage to the second story in my house. I bought mine used on ebay.

I am going to be on the look out for a pump.

I got the final coat of paint on the stand. I had to go with the high gloss I really didn't want to use. The lower luster was mixed at the paint store, they use powdered pigment. After 2 coats it was still see through. The high gloss premixed uses ground pigment, it is a much deeper color and it covered. We have not been able to work on the doors though, hopefully tomorrow. When we get it in the house, I will post a photo. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. :heee:

We carried the stand in lastnight. The doors are not ready but I will show how it looks so far.
The doors will change the whole look of it, still painting them.
What you guy think?

Front~

DSCN0631.jpg

Side, (the best part:smile:)~

DSCN0625.jpg

I knew that stand could be transformed to work. The slatted panels were brilliant.

You didn't say you were using RED! I would have warned you about the number of coats and to use an oil base if you could find one. It took me forever to get wood to look right in my son's second room (navy blues are a problem too, and of course I wanted navy and red). You will likely not regret using the extra paint and the high gloss (more oil in high gloss) since it is going to be around water. Later I found that spray paint as a final couple of coats helps protect and takes care of any spots that still absorbed the paint so I will use it as a top coat with anything black or really dark now.

I am experienced with red. We have 2 bathrooms that are red, it is a nightmare when using latex. This is oil-based, smelly but gives the best finish. I didn't want it to be shiney so we tried a semi gloss but it would have needed 4 coats to even out. I broke down and used the gloss. This stuff covers in 1 coat. I am however putting 2 coats on the doors which were a pistol to build, so many pieces needed to be glued and clamped then trimmed and sanded etc...
The panels are left over bead board from my bathroom. We made it flush with the floor, I hate the dust bunnies that collect in a space too small to clean.
Now we move on to the tank!

Looking at the photos, the color is way off. It is much darker in person. More of a burgandy red not true red.

Try shooting it without a flash when you get the tank on. Needless to say, the tripod will help :sagrin:. The colors should be closer to what you see and the tank won't reflect a glare.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back