• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

update one bubbles

clownfish said:
I nodiced the cuttest little thing yesterday I was watching my octopus and next to him ther was a little so tiny you had to look real close in the water jelly fish.

Hi Clownfish,

As Nancy says, it's probably not a jellyfish. My guess is that you're seeing sucker sheds. In addition to using them for grasping, an octo also relies on its suckers as touch and taste sensors. To maintain the efficiency of their tasting function, octos shed the outer layer of 'skin' from their suckers at a pretty rapid rate - I've been told that there is a 100% turnover rate every day but I've never bothered to confirm such a thing. At the Fiero center it's fairly common to look into the GPO's tank and see a virtual blizzard of these sheds which are shaped somewhat like a contact lens. This 'blizzard' is often (usually) preceeded by the octo actively twisting and writhing its arms over each other. We think that the behavior is intended to dislodge the sheds much the same as a dog or cat might rub against something to get rid of shedding fur.

Eczemically yours,

TPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back