Up for a game of 'guess the mystery ceph'?

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi from Scripps! This is my first week working in the collections to identify and catalogue the rather extensive cephalopod specimens in their Pelagic Invertebrate Collections. When I started there were 2600... but by splitting up groups where multiple different taxa have been stored together in a single jar, they've increased by 200 already :twisted: I'll be here the rest of this week, and back in November with more of the ALCES crew.

Thought a few people might have fun trying their hand (arm) at identifications, so I'll post a few photos of interesting things I'm encountering in the collections. We'll start with an 'easy' one...

Mystery squid 1.jpg

For the first one, my reply with :wink: above was designed as a hint at histioteuthis. Not sure of specific species tho - honestly not sure how many known variations of those guys are out there!

Hmmm, second one must be one of those glass squid? Although maybe @GPO87 has a broader juristriction than I thought?

I started out thinking this would be easy and now I’m all :bonk:

lol!! DUH!! ...got me good

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back