• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Unknown Phylum. Any suggestions?

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
... I would say it's a strange type of man eating jellyfish? The bottom stipey part really looks like a bell, which says Cnidarian to me! but then again those holes in picture 4 do look ALOT like syphon-y ceph type stuff... :biggrin2:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Not for a moment a serious suggestion, but I can dream...it looks to me akin to some kind of vampyromorph cephalopod.

The striped structures could be short arms tucked in around the 'head', note how they are asymmetrical in picture 3 implying that they are not part of the 'mantle' but capable of independent movement. Wrinkling observable in picture 2 suggests that arms, or even a web, may be present tucked down between the striped lobes. The two circular structures could be analogous to Vampyroteuthis photophores but migrated forwards. Picture 4 seems to depict some form of internal strengthening structure under the mantle - some kind of gladius perhaps?

Perhaps the Vampire Squid isn't alone afterall? Certainly it looks prehistoric, though I'd have to draw the line at Anomalocaris as was suggested to me privately in jest...

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Giant pelagic slug??? I don't get a very squidly vibe about those photos. Pretty amazing looking, whatever it is. I wonder if the movement was fluid rather than something that may be injured.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I thought we'd put this one to bed?

Dancing Sea Slug

Fits all the parameters, and colour pattern...also, the convolutions of the body along with the questing forward "nose".

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Sorry, but I showed the pic to a bunch of divers (one of them, unfortunately, a fish collector) and they all said without hesitation...
Dancing Sea Slug

Webmaster edit: bad link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
No, No, No, No, No, No, No .....!!

Time to call in the man himself, Dr Bill Rudman. That's no nudibranch. Now, how to dial the man .....

If that's a nudibranch then I'll shout you all weekend at TONMOcon!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blam

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak