Unidentified Octopus with egg clutch

niki

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi guys...

here is an octopus i have recieved from the philliphines. she layed eggs inside her cup and i have isolated the eggs from her and have them aereating. my question(s) are : what is she? and more importantly, will i be able to save the babies? thanks octo-gurus and have a g'day...Niki

unknownoctopi.jpg

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
A. aculeatus hatch out at 1-2mm- tiny!

shipposhack;107848 said:
Small-egged species have eggs about the size of a grain of rice. I do not know the approximate size of the larvae when they hatch but I think they are ~1-2 cm. Large enough to eat an adult Artemia.

Upvote 0

niki

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
the mother has died.

muck-what parameters would you suggest for lighting, chemistry, temp, salinity, and food items? i'm settign up the broodstock tank tommorow. should i set it up like a clownfish brood tank, with black walls, minimal lighting? sponge filter?

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Sorry aside61 but you must know that trying to get answers about the endings to 2008 threads is about as possible as getting a small egg species hatchlings to survive. You can assume that the hatchlings did not survive since we have had no recorded successes past 21days, most don't make it a week. Additionally, older threads were not kept in journals as well as they are now so many of the posts were scattered. Your best bet for the most complete stories on egg hatchings is to use the Raising Octopus From Eggs subforum in Octopus Care.

Upvote 0

Latest Posts