• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

types of octopuses for my tank?

I want to get an octopus and hook its tank up to my reef tank. the tank i have for it is probably about 35 gallons and it more of a tall tank but i will put a tower of live rock in the center. what types of octopuses would like this setup?

Probably none. A 55 gallon would be the minimum for most octopus. We have lots of information about octopus care in the articles (top of page) and a whole lot more information available in the various ceph care threads in the forums (also at top of page). Reading those will answer most questions you might have, and probably quite a few that you wouldn't even think to ask.

#30Girl;128626 said:
Maybe some litte cuttlefish would look really neat; or some octopus and mini sharks.:cuttlehi::octorun:

This isn't a question about what would look "cute", it's a question about keeping a living , intelligent animal in the best conditions possible to ensure it's good health.

What's the capacity of your reef tank and what do you have in it? It's possible that you could get by with a 35 gallon if your system can handle the large waste load of an octopus. There are a few species that might not object to a 35 gal tall tank, although we really do suggest you get a minimum 55 gallon, because the majority of octopus available will not be happy in anything less, and also because the average LFS will not be very good on identification of the octopus they get in. There are some species that need a much larger tank. On the other hand some of the dwarfs will be content with less. Many of them are nocturnal and spend most of their time hiding, so for most people they are less than ideal. There's a brand new book on ceph care that was written by 2 of our staff members. (It's pictured on the left side of the front page.) It's a great book, and well worth the money if you are serious about adding an octopus tank to your setup.

hey there :biggrin2:, glad to see you joined the sight, I just replied to your thread on wamas, and it looks like these guys have got you sorted out....not sure I'd call that a good thing but...:goofysca: anyways, really, if anything for that tank, I'd suggest a bandensis cuttle or two...

sorseress;128636 said:
What's the capacity of your reef tank and what do you have in it? It's possible that you could get by with a 35 gallon if your system can handle the large waste load of an octopus. There are a few species that might not object to a 35 gal tall tank, although we really do suggest you get a minimum 55 gallon, because the majority of octopus available will not be happy in anything less, and also because the average LFS will not be very good on identification of the octopus they get in. There are some species that need a much larger tank. On the other hand some of the dwarfs will be content with less. Many of them are nocturnal and spend most of their time hiding, so for most people they are less than ideal. There's a brand new book on ceph care that was written by 2 of our staff members. (It's pictured on the left side of the front page.) It's a great book, and well worth the money if you are serious about adding an octopus tank to your setup.

my reef is 90 gal, i also have a 45 gal refugium and want to get a 20-30 gal tank hooked up too. right now i only have two fish i actually got today and i think i have a pretty good protien skimmer if i can get it to work. ill look in to that book, thanks.

L8 2 RISE;128645 said:
hey there :biggrin2:, glad to see you joined the sight, I just replied to your thread on wamas, and it looks like these guys have got you sorted out....not sure I'd call that a good thing but...:goofysca: anyways, really, if anything for that tank, I'd suggest a bandensis cuttle or two...

i would like some cuttle fish, i saw some while i was snorkling once, but they dont interact with you as much do they?
maybe ill get a new tank for the octopus and use this one for cuttle fish.

Some of them are quite interactive. Quite a few of our members have kept them and posted lots of very interesting stuff. Read the threads by cuttlegirl, Dhyslop, Thales to name just a few...others will probably pop into my mind later.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back