Two paleoctopi and a something???

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
:welcome: mhorn,

Thank you for the link to the Dorateuthis paper. There seems to be a lot more described coleoids from Lebanon than I assumed there was.:oops: Makes me wonder why if there are all those Cretaceous Coleoids preserved there isnt an ammonoid or two in with them. Is it just a habitat bias?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO, and I second Architeuthoceras on curiosity about ammonite soft tissues... what is it about ammonites that has kept us from ever seeing preserved soft tissue like these fossil coleoida? I'd think that they would be easier to find, since a coleoid just looks like a splotch, but an ammonite shell draws one's attention, and so one would notice the adjacent body.

veomega

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Huh, good point. The original site owner says that ammonites are very rare, and they've never found any soft body preservation. So, same conditions, but the coleoids preserve but ammonite soft body doesn't...

Could it be the ammonites tuck back into their shells before they die? Or that decomposition causes gases to fill the shells and that causes them to float to the surface after they die, resulting in no preservation of soft body under sediments?

Just my random speculation...

mhorn

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Architeuthoceras;110785 said:
:welcome: mhorn,
Makes me wonder why if there are all those Cretaceous Coleoids preserved there isnt an ammonoid or two in with them. Is it just a habitat bias?

The same with other Mesozoic 'Lagerstattes' rich in fossil coleoids, such as Holzmaden, Nusplingen, Solnhofen... There are numerous remains of fossilized coleoid soft tissues, there are no those of ammonoids...
Perhaps ammonite shell prevent fossilization, as well as in case of other shelly cephalopods and gastropods

Latest Posts