Twizzler - I think a dwarf

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Well....I took a ride to a new LFS I found a few months ago in Pa and they had a very small octopus sitting in a critter keeper...I pondered and I pondered and ended up bringing him home with me. He is now is a critter keeper in my 70 gal as I want to be able to monitor for a few days, or so. Acclimation went very smoothly and he was very active, trying to climb out of the bag, (but luckily I have learned from my one experience where the octopus traveled all over the floor of my bedroom), but I had the bag clipped shut. Jess and I made a quick collection trip to the marina, but only found a few snails and 2 hermit crabs. I need to go back before it gets really cold here. Keeping fingers crossed! I've peaked in several times and I do see a curious eye.:smile:

Twizzler is the size of a quarter curled up. Has not eaten yet as of this morning, but very busy dragging shells to his hideout. At one point during when I was ready to let him out in the critter pen, he had his 2 front legs curled upwards towards me, and I seem to remember this being an aggressive stance on could have been a merc I had. Shop says Indonesia but I question that. They said the only one they can identify when it comes in is the "long arm".

Came home tonight and swore he got out of the critter pen until I noticed what I thought was more snail shells on the bottom under the rock, touched it and here comes a mad little octopus. He grabbed me, let go and then scooted to the side by the piece of pvc. Had horizontal striped legs and black body. I ran to get my camera, and he was gone by the time I got back. Still do not think he's eaten anything yet as the 2 hermits are still there, but now perched as high up as they can get.

Good news! Twizzler ate a fiddler crab and last night he was out trying to escape the critter keeper! I almost let him out as he is definitely bigger than the last one I had. I was able to snap a few pictures with my phone. The shop said he was from Indonesia and from the look of his arms, and the way he lifts his mantle to look at me I'm thinking he's not a merc.

Yesterday afternoon, went collecting at the Inlet. Actually, a nice fisherman had a bucket of the crabs I usually collect and gave me about 20, about the size of a nickle! Twizzler pounced on it as soon as it hit the floor of his cage. I am debating whether to release him into the large tank. Not sure yet. Kind of like knowing where he is at the moment! Seems to be doing very well and he is definitely curious as to what we are. Every time I tap my nails on the glass you see legs shooting out from under the rock.

Twizzler is starting to become very curious. He was out this morning. Took another crab and ate. it out in the open. His new den is the piece of pvc.

Twizzler is becoming very active. He is eating daily. I want to let him out into the 70 gallon but am hesitant because without thinking I put all the crabs into the 70 and some are quite large compared to him. Still not sure on species as the other day, my son called me out and he was sitting in the open, totally black with his eyes up like periscopes. The first shot could be part of our thread, find the octopus!:smile:

Last night I opened the critter pen. This morning he is MIA....I have mixed feelings about giving him free roam of the 70 gallon as now the wait and spot the octopus starts. I'm hoping his curiosity will get the better of him as he liked to observe us! I know he has lots to eat!!! :smile:

Well....It's been almost a week and there has been not even a tentacle in sight. I have so many crabs in there it's hard to tell if they are decreasing yet or not so it's a waiting game. I know Twizzler had a very healthy appetite when he was in the critter pen, which is good to know. So I'm hoping he's just basking in his 70 gallon ocean! I know he liked to watch us, but usually he was black so it could be I just can't sight him as he's blending very well into his surroundings. It's not for lack of trying! I have a diningroom chair strategically placed where I can swoop in any time day or night to observe.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back