Twizzler - I think a dwarf

To date there has been no sighting whatsoever and I still have crabs and hermits running around so I'm thinking either Twizzler passed or is guarding eggs. I have been unable to locate her at all. I'm wondering if at some point I will see free swimming larva. I had the chance to get an O' briarius, but it's mantle was 2 inches and I decided to wait especially since I do not know if Twizzler is still with me or not.

Have you kept an O. briareus yet? I don't remember you ever keeping one :biggrin2: I am assuming it is available locally and that too is different if my assumptions are right. What I am trying to determine is if my huntch is right and that the crabbers are in for a heavy predation season :wink:

Yes I did keep an O'briarius. Her name was Egor not Casper. She hatched out tiny little babies, that were so adorable, but alas...I lost them all very quickly. Not sure what had happened, but it was unexpected. I actually turned it down cause I was still unsure if Twizzler was still in the tank. Generally, crabs do not eat/kill an octopus unless they are sick or weak. I'm hoping she's guarding eggs. I still think she was a dwarf.

I found a pic of Egor.....(Oops....but will have to keep in mind Casper if I ever get another one!) She was with me back in October 2005.

ah HA, 2005 was before my time (started lurking in early 2006), older then the random posts I consolidated into journals AND explains why I could not find anything with Casper with a Google search (yeah, I am not losing my memory :old:) .

Egor's pics do have me thinking about keeping another next year though. Unfortunately, one of my primary sources for Octos (Lynn, Island Marine Life) is retiring at the end of the year (next week!). Lynn is terrified of octopuses but he has found the greatest variety of species for me, including Little Bit and Monty. We have had a lot of fun with the tales of his efforts not to touch them and still safely capture and get them to me :biggrin2:

Something you should never do is keep 2 octopuses together in the same tank. I had not seen twizzler in months...assumed he had died...well....tonight obviously he was a she and there are free swimming microscopic babies swimming by the light. I'm waiting to see the size Twizzler grew to as I know the end is near. Have not seen any evidence of her since I released her from the critter keeper.

Have you seen any reaction from Squid? Fortunately he would be safe given the mothers post brood condition but I was curious if he found the hatchling to be a food source.

I'm thinking the babies are too tiny for Squid to even consider as food. I have not seen Twizzler at all since her release. She's been in the tank since Sept. 2011. Looking back at her arrival pictures, I believe she was an adult when I received her. Goes to show you should not assume demise if you never see them! I'm lucky in that Squid seems unaffected by her. Who knows if they ever made contact.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back