TV show on Giant Pacific Octopus Attack

I guess I just wish that documentaries like this could excite the public with the truth or atleast a more honest approach to science. (Dale, don't take this as a indictment on you and Scott, I understand you had little to do with the direction of the show.) Maybe I have an idealistic view of the public and they really need to be fed BS and shoddy, sensationalized science to tune in after a long day of work. Atleast for me the truth is far more fantastic than what they showed.
The blazing example of this the whole line on bite pressure, and the engineer guy that smashed the clam in the vise like thing. Ok, they totally disregard that GPOs very rarely crush a whole clam to get into it (and then only very small ones), but pursuing this fallacious side route they completely miss the more fantastic truth: If the ability to change shape, change color, having hundreds of suckers on eight powerful arms, their insane invert intelligence and the ability to get into any hole big enough for beak doesn't make them a formidable enough predator as it is THEY HAVE A FREAKING DRILLBIT IN THEIR MOUTH AND THEY ARE VENOMOUS. DEAR GOD WHAT MANNER OF BEAST HAVE YOU UNLEASHED ON THIS EARTH!?!?! They simply drill through nearly any animal armor with their radula and inject venom, killing crabs and bivalves with amazing efficiency. Here is an animal that will out-hide you, out muscle you, out smart you, pursue you wherever you may hide, and drill through your armor and put you down quickly with their poison.
There are so many other things in this show I wish...I wish the fantastic truth would have been borne out more. I know... it was MonsterQuest (looking in one of the very last places in the sea one would expect to find Octopus giganteus) and all the details they laid out to the viewing audience probably kept them from flipping more than accurate info. I guess thats why no GPO experts in the region were on the boat or diving. That would be a bore...

its playing again.....

HISTORY

if you guys missed it, it plays again tonight.
:bonk:

Ya know, one of these days, if we spend enough time looking for monster stuff we may find something......that we are not expecting.....:sink:

The more people that watch the better the ratings and the better the chance at more expeditions.

Dale

gonetobaja;124209 said:
HISTORY

if you guys missed it, it plays again tonight.
:bonk:

Ya know, one of these days, if we spend enough time looking for monster stuff we may find something......that we are not expecting.....:sink:

The more people that watch the better the ratings and the better the chance at more expeditions.

Dale

Plus, you can do 3 hours of ceph-watching to support documentaries: Ku's giant squid doc on Discovery at 8, the premiere of the Te Papa Colossal Squid dissection with Steve, Kat, Ku, Olaf, Mark, Chris, and probably someone I'm forgetting at 9 on discovery, and then Dale & Scott playing with GPOs on The History Channel at 10.

Despite having beaten the horse to death earlier in this thread, I thought of a much funnier way of expressing my skepticism about MonsterQuest's spin: they should do an episode about whether there is a walrus living in my bathtub that I've never noticed before. That said, the GPOs that do live in Puget Sound are fun animals, and it's great seeing Dale & Scott get a chance to film them and interact with them. And I give the show a :thumbsup: because of that.

monty;124213 said:
Plus, you can do 3 hours of ceph-watching to support documentaries: Ku's giant squid doc on Discovery at 8, the premiere of the Te Papa Colossal Squid dissection with Steve, Kat, Ku, Olaf, Mark, Chris, and probably someone I'm forgetting at 9 on discovery, and then Dale & Scott playing with GPOs on The History Channel at 10.

Despite having beaten the horse to death earlier in this thread, I thought of a much funnier way of expressing my skepticism about MonsterQuest's spin: they should do an episode about whether there is a walrus living in my bathtub that I've never noticed before. That said, the GPOs that do live in Puget Sound are fun animals, and it's great seeing Dale & Scott get a chance to film them and interact with them. And I give the show a :thumbsup: because of that.
:roflmao:

Monty,

We can do a show on the walrus in your bathroom. Walrus gigantucus, All we need now is a legend and a couple of eyewitnesses.

Oh yea, and some Computer graphics of how the walrus can shrink itself and fit down the drain when people come around. a Stealth walrus.....

Dale

gonetobaja;124218 said:
:roflmao:

Monty,

We can do a show on the walrus in your bathroom. Walrus gigantucus, All we need now is a legend and a couple of eyewitnesses.

Oh yea, and some Computer graphics of how the walrus can shrink itself and fit down the drain when people come around. a Stealth walrus.....

Dale

Well, to be fair, the only person I've heard of who has actually seen the walrus is my cousin's stepsister's ex-boyfriend's gardener's mother-in-law, but we get these hair-clogs in the drain sometimes, and, even though my DNA tests were inconclusive, it seems like the most likely explanation.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back