[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Trying yet again at Daisy Hill

Heh did you put one in a cup and put it over a dime?

I was looking at a video I made of hatchlings and I forget how small they start out also. They really grow noticeably daily.

My other cuttles have been laying eggs all day and night. I wish I have a super fancy camera like yours. But I guess I would also need to possess the knowledge of its use as well!

Thanks Daniel!

Yep, Deli container with a dime on top under a plastic tray with water. Very quick.

It took me a long time to break down and get a fancy camera. I really didn't want to do it - its a whole 'nother hobby!

I'd love to come by your place sometime and take some pics if that sounds like something you'd be interested in. :biggrin2:

Thales;111576 said:
Thanks Daniel!

It took me a long time to break down and get a fancy camera. I really didn't want to do it - its a whole 'nother hobby!

I'd love to come by your place sometime and take some pics if that sounds like something you'd be interested in. :biggrin2:

Whole 'nother' Hobby is exactly my thoughts. As if I dont have enough expensive hobbies!

Id love to have you over. Anytime thats convenient for you. I work from home, so Im here ALL the time heh. Just PM me your schedule. Also, on another note, it looks like theres no Humboldt squid out lately, so catching them might not be possible until next month.

adds new meaning to "it can turn on a dime".... great shot, and yeah, gives me camera envy...

Yeah i finally broke down and bought a nice dslr...You know you are addicted to this hobby when you take up an even more expensive or equally expensive hobby just to take pics of your other hobby (your tanks and livestock)!!

craigl;111587 said:
Yeah i finally broke down and bought a nice dslr...You know you are addicted to this hobby when you take up an even more expensive or equally expensive hobby just to take pics of your other hobby (your tanks and livestock)!!

Im getting close to take the dive myself.

So, these cuttles are next to a tank with my baby bangaii cardinals. Most of the cuttles will group up against the glass and follow the baby bangaiis up, down, and across the tank. Very entertaining!

So these guys are three months old, and grubbing on thawed, rinsed PE mysis. Grubbing I tell you! I am going to switch to two feedings a day, one live one frozen. I think it might be neat to be able to regularly feed them mysis.

I have some captive raised S. bandensis hatchlings and three month olds for sale. The hatchlings (hatched and eating mysis and prolly amphipods) are currently $40 each, plus shipping and boxing, the 3 month olds (eating frozen shore/bait shrimp and frozen mysis) are $75 each plus shipping and boxing. Payment accepted through paypal only. If you are interested please email me at [email protected]

You can see pics of these guys in this thread:
[Cuttlefish Eggs]: - Trying yet again at Daisy Hill

General info on the species available here:
Cephalopod Care

Some nitty gritties:

Please, serious/informed buyers only. It often happens in sales of captive raised cephs that people say "I want them, will you hold them for me". Then, after a dozen or so emails, they decide that these animals aren't for them (this actually happened this week :smile: ). So, please, serious/informed inquiries only.
I am happy to hold animals for a week or two with prepayment, with 50% refundable if you decide to back out.

:biggrin2:

Thanks guys!

The 11 I have left are eating like pigs.

I modified Daniel's feeding chain idea and modified it slightly. From a piece of plastic rod, I tied short lengths of fishing line. To the bottom of each line, I glued a small piece of live rock rubble with superglue. Then, in the middle of the lines, I glued some plastic toothpics. Once it all cured, I put bait shrimp on the toothpicks and hung the plastic rod over the top of the tank. BAM all the cuttles struck almost right away. They tugged and pulled to get the shrimp off the toothpics, but I secured them too well. The second time, shrimp much more loosely stuck, the cuttles knew what to expect and it was much more orderly.

I very much like this method because I can count off the shrimp for the number of cuttles, the shrimp don't hit the floor of the tank to decompose, and the cuttles seem less likely to both strike the same shrimp. Double added benefit - both the current and the cuttles striking other shrimp on the line make the shrimp not yet taken jump around as if alive.

The contraption does look like some sort of mobile a serial killer would make though. :biggrin2:

I am working on one for mysis for hatchlings.

Thales;113119 said:
The contraption does look like some sort of mobile a serial killer would make though. :biggrin2:

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me given the co-inventors

Thales;113119 said:
I am working on one for mysis for hatchlings.

and then are you going to transcribe the entire TONMO journals on the head of a pin?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back