• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Trying yet again at Daisy Hill

Thales;113119 said:
I modified Daniel's feeding chain idea and modified it slightly. .
Glad to hear! The first version I made had wooden toothpicks which eventually gets chewed up! At first, I was careful to make the shrimps skewered loosely, but after a while I didnt bother. If it was too tight, the cuttle will bring it to a rock and sit and have shrimp on the stick!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
There was actually no hatchling version. I never figured out how to make something to hold mysis.

I would have to check how many batches I have raised. At least 2 a year for 4 years or more.

I always end up with a lone male that lives 15-18 months. This time I am going to try separating the males except for mating and see if that results in longer lifespans for everyone.

The male I got from you last year lived to about 16 months. When it died, there were still 5 other cuttles in the tank with him, but they were all 5 months younger from a different egg batch.

That one shot at the beginning of the post there--the baby with the two top arms extended and laying on the substrate--almost looks like he's doing an impersonation of a sand-sifting snail or something. Mimicry perhaps?:smile:

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
ekocak;129434 said:
That one shot at the beginning of the post there--the baby with the two top arms extended and laying on the substrate--almost looks like he's doing an impersonation of a sand-sifting snail or something. Mimicry perhaps?:smile:

Not sure which photo you are talking about, but if its the one I am thinking it is, the cuttle is striking at a shrimp that is out of shot.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thales,
I know you and Paradox have had great success with the wild eggs and that those cuttles have mated and produced eggs but have you had success raising the eggs from the tank raised cuttles?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak