Try, Try again!!!

Hi George,

Was just reading through this thread again and thought I'd update you on Ollie and his shrimp hunting. (I believe Ollie is a bit older than Tralfaz.)

Ollie had a terrible time with shrimp at first, running at them head first and scaring them away. I originally put wild caught shrimp in his tank, and they were crafty and knew how to avoid him. He eventually began staying up all night to catch them, turning black and sneaking up on them. He was successful and ate them all. Unfortunately, he was very sleepy all day after that.

The shrimp that TONMO.com offers have never known a preditor, and are much easier to catch. Tralfaz may have some luck with them.

Ollie is now able to hunt and catch shrimp during the day, which makes us all happier. Tralfaz will get there, too!

Nancy

Wow

The post from TaningiaDanae about the the octopus "rejecting" the shrimp has me totally amazed :shock: I'm quite new to octopus, and I was just wondering what other "acts of intelligence" these octopuses will do. Do you guys have any other examples?

This really makes me want to get an octopus of my own!

sideways said:
Hmmmm...I wonder how hard (and expensive) it would actually be to get a childrens book published.

Not all that difficult -- it would involve printing out multiple copies of the text (and usually illustrations) for submission to prospective publishers. (Just about every children's book I've seen, except certain young-adult fiction, is illustrated.) It shouldn't be expensive at all, aside from the cost of paper, inkjets, envelopes, and stamps for mailing the whole thing out to one or more companies.

Publishing is only expensive if you opt for a "vanity" press -- i.e., one of those pay-it-yourself companies that will publish and distribute X copies of your book if you give them a zillion dollars up front. Most "vanity" presses are moneymaking operations (for themselves) and should be avoided at all costs.

What you need to do is buy, or order online if there are no quality bookstores near you, a copy of this year's WRITER'S MARKET. It is usually rather pricey for a book, but well worth it because it will give you an up-to-date, comprehensive listing of all major publishers in the country, their addresses and numbers, and what their guidelines are for unsolicited manuscripts: genre, preferred style, set-up, number of copies, whether or not they provide an illustrator, amount they pay if accepted, whether or not they are willing to accept simultaneous submissions (manuscripts sent to other publishers at the same time) etc.

FYI, for those who write poetry, there is also an annual POET'S MARKET. My husband, who is a widely published poet off- and online (including at this site -- shameless plug :biggrin2: ), swears by the latter volume and gets the new edition every year.

(I know this is seriously OT, but assuming there are other TONMOers interested in entering the writing field, I thought it might be helpful.)

:squid: :cthulhu: :nautilus: :octopus: :meso: :arrow: Obligatory Ceph Stuff

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back