• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tropical Octopus

I may have paniced too soon. It is still alive, breathing very heavily. I released it a few minutes ago and it swam down and is sitting on a rock. I have all the lights off in the room and tank also. There is a little light coming through the drapes, but not much. Poor little baby, is there anything else I should do to help, perhaps xtra airation?

Spring

just leave it alone for the rest of the day to settle down... putting in extra air will help and make sure the temperature isnt too high.

which company did you buy from>?

good luck

Hi Colin, I got it from Petsupply.com. I called them and they pretty much said the same thing you did. The baby has retreated into the rocks for now. I'm still really concerned as it was really breathing heavily when I last saw it. The temp is 74 degrees, I don't know what that is in celsius. I took the 50 watt heater out this morning as I had it on the lowest setting and saw it kick on. The room temp is around 70. I tested the water last night, sg 1.025, 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, nitrate around 40 which is higher than I'd like. I also tested for copper and phosphate, 0 on both of those. I'll leave the little booger alone for the rest of the day, but should I offer it food this evening? There are a few snails left in the tank and I saw a small blue leg hermit in there too. Maybe it'll help itself to some crab legs!

Spring

yeah, id leave it be and if it wants to eat mr hermit well, thats its choice :smile:

dont worry about 40ppm too much... after a week or two do some w/changes

Another question about food. The guy at pet supply said to feed it phyto-plankton too. Could this be correct? Seems like awfully small food, if you ask me. I have the dt's live phyto in the bottle.

Spring

yeah, thats just mental to think that they would eat plants and microscopic plants at that! LFSs dont always know that much about cephs!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back