• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Trilobite fossils

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Yeah, I remember that one; there was an interesting documentary on BBC2 about it last year. National Geographic announced this discovery as the missing link between dinosaurs and birds a couple of years ago in a blaze of publicity, only to find a few months down the road the fossil had been forged.

NG retreated with their feathered reptilian tail between their legs on that one.

However, I'm sure subsequent analysis demonstrated some fascinating features, I think the tail (or was it the hip?) was from a new species of feathered dinosaur so at least the specimen had some research value.

Thanks!

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Man, fossil hoaxes annoy the crap out of me. Aside from wasting time and money, they encourage these people:

ProjectCREATION

Sure, everyone's entitled to their beliefs. :roll:

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

:x

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Yeah, well said um.....

It's a free world but creationists are luckily a small, though very vocal minority. Luckily cephalopods are not really a prime target for their delusions. :x

However, there is one poor little squid from the Devonian they have seized on, but I've been saving that one up.....just in case..... :grad:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Melissa said:
Fossils were available everywhere when I was in Morocco, and I understand you can visit the places where they are dug and where some are "made."
Strangely enough I just found this interesting photo of a fossil shop in Morocco selling ammonites. Pity I don't think you could roll those through Customs at the airport on your return. I think they might take up the baggage limit!

http://folk.uio.no/oyengen/geo/morocco/megasquid.html

TF, Excellent!

We just need a smiley for a deity now......

.....oops just found it.... :oshea:

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
:shock: Wow...

I've only ever found very small ones and I had enough trouble scraping away the fairly soft stone they were in, without worrying about spikes and antennae and probosci and such... amazing.

:notworth:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
TTF, as I'm sure you know the professionals often use weak acid to burn these things clear of the matrix to preserve the detail. I'm utterly jealous of you though, I've never found a trilobite in my life! None of the rocks around me are old enough; I'd need to go to Wales or Scotland. A pity....
got any photos you could show us? :notworth:

Um.....more triliesmilies? Well, I'll see what I can do, though I'm not really up to doing all nine orders.

:bugout:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak