[Octopus]: Trapper - O.mercatoris

any thoughts to anyone on a neat way to decorate trappers lid??? We kind of only have one shot at this and dylan wants ARMS coming down from the lid, I thought pipe cleaners, but they are kind of tacky for this personal of an application, I thought to make the "head" out of some kind of stuffing and then covered in , well..... pantyhose, but I am a little stumped on the arms. If you are bored and have suggestions please feel free to let me know, but Dylan says her lid is "ugly" and wants to do something to it:smile: I have added another picture of her jar for reference to size and shape. Thanks

Attachments

• conv_290948.jpg
    conv_290948.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
Try some fleece fabric instead of panty hose, it stretches and comes in some interesting prints, and sew the little arms out of that, kind of tough to get them turned, but not impossible, or don't sew them on a machine, hand sew them, and stuff the pipe cleaners down into them so you can shape them. Or you could knit icord tentacles if you can knit.

Tina,
Next time you are near a larger pet store with Dylan (do you even dare do that?) you might take a look at some of the fake corals. You might find something that he likes that could represent her habitat or even have a small octo represented.

A alternate would be to mask off the plastic, just paint the lid and use your acknowledged painting skills to draw an octo with arms

If Dylan is keen on making something himself, how about an indian, I mean octopus, head band where the mantle is the "feather". You cut, he colors. Not a permenant solution but creative and redoable on a rainy day.

Knit? What's that? Something from one of the fossils and history threads perhaps?

Sauceyress (loved Steve's modification),

I can pick on you because I believe you are the only person here that ummm is more experienced than myself :wink:

Trapper

So although it has been awhile. I still wanted to post this photo of Trapper and what Dylan decided to do with her lid. I didn't get a whole lot of input here besides "put glue here mom" so this was all him, and since it is his thing, I let him roll with it. Not bad for a year old, but he lacked the patience to let me come up with something better for the head, I am glad though after Denise's suggestion of feather he decided to employ them although in a different manner:smile: Anyways, here she is, I call her the Vegas showgirl for obvious reasons, but at least Dylan is happy with her lid now:smile:

Attachments

• conv_291640.jpg
    conv_291640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • conv_291641.jpg
    conv_291641.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
Three generations of octos!

Well, any of you in the northeast US I hope can sympathize with what we have been going through up here the last couple of weeks. I believe it has been confirmed that this has been our snowiest January on record. So, we are not as far along on our project as we would like, but the excitement of having three generations of octos together has prompted me to go ahead and add this post a little early. Thanks to Denise, we now have 3 very well preserved octos. Trapper, who we were blessed with a long time ago, Sisty, (gen 2), and most recently, Wiley, (gen 3)the cutest of all. Trapper is our most well preserved, Dwhatly did a phenomenal job. She looks fantastic. Sisty preserved nicely also, sprawled out in a way perfect for display, the color is a bit darker than that of Trapper, but nonetheless breathtaking to look at. Wiley is the cutest thing ever. All curled up in the most adorable manner, wrapped up in himself as if snuggling. All the little suckers in tact, he is smaller than the other two, and we have dubbed him the "baby". I am putting some photos below, these are preliminary. Dylan wants to add scenery to the jars of Sisty and Wiley. Trappers jar is smaller and leaves less room for habitat simulation. The jar that Sisty came in was nice and large and is perfect for adding things to. Dylan has found, conveniently enough, a purple octopus to put in with Sisty. Perhaps he thought she needed company. We also have put Wiley in a larger container to allow for decor. We have not done the final seal on Sisty or Wiley's containers yet, and will seal them in the same manner that we did Trapper's. All three octos are in 91% alcohol. Trapper has been comfortably resting in hers for a very long time, and it has worked well in this application. So, below are some photos. Trapper of course is in the "Vegas Showgirl" container, Sisty is in the shorter container with the white lid, and Wiley is in the taller container with the blue lid. I took a photo of Wiley from underneath so you could see all his curls :biggrin2: I apologize for the "flashiness" of the photos, the reflective properties of the containers make photography difficult, and being that they are cylindrical, the octos look a bit warped from some angles. I am going to continue taking photos and will post them or put them in an album. Thank you again to Dwhatley :notworth: I am going to put one or two additional posts behind this so as not to exceed the maxumum photo allowance on a post.

Attachments

• conv_293817.jpg
    conv_293817.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • conv_293818.jpg
    conv_293818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
  • conv_293819.jpg
    conv_293819.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
  • conv_293820.jpg
    conv_293820.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
More Photos!

I apologize if I am being over excited by posting all of these!

Attachments

• conv_293824.jpg
    conv_293824.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_293823.jpg
    conv_293823.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • conv_293822.jpg
    conv_293822.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • conv_293821.jpg
    conv_293821.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
For any new readers who happen this far: the other two journals (in the message just above) are worth reading.

I am looking at those images. To have the little ones on display like that must be ... jarring.

Level_Head,
You know we DO have a thread for groaners ...

We haven't had a batch of hatchling mercs in quite some time so I am hoping some of the new interest will add material to this group of journals. I tried to find a male to introduce to Sleazy but was not successful and she was acquired too young to have mated.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back