• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Transporting Cuttles

proplayer23

Hatchling
Registered
I kept a tank raised octopus from fishsupply.com a few years ago and want to try cuttlefish. I go to school away from home and want to have it there. Would it be too stressful on the animal to transport it home during my long break over Christmas and transport it back to school after? It would be a little less than a 3 hour drive.

I assume a tank raised specimen would fair better. I would also start the tank at home this summer, let it cycle, tear it down and bring it to school. I would either start another to leave home or I would just move the tank back and forth.

Moving the tank back and forth will definitely be a large ordeal and put a fair amount of stress on the cuttle. If you have two tanks set up you would be okay but the cuttle would still not be happy about moving around a lot. I would not recommend transporting the entire tank, especially after it has cycled.

proplayer23;114622 said:
I kept a tank raised octopus from fishsupply.com a few years ago and want to try cuttlefish. I go to school away from home and want to have it there. Would it be too stressful on the animal to transport it home during my long break over Christmas and transport it back to school after? It would be a little less than a 3 hour drive.

I assume a tank raised specimen would fair better. I would also start the tank at home this summer, let it cycle, tear it down and bring it to school. I would either start another to leave home or I would just move the tank back and forth.

I REALLY would not recommend this. Tearing down a cycled tank really messes with the water chemistry and the travel will stress out your cuttle.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back