Toys!

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Toys for the young and not so young......Here are a few examples of fossil cephalopod toys collected over the last couple of years. These are a very rare breed, unlike rubber Triceratops!

Here are two ammonites and a belemnite produced by a company called Bullyland in Germany. They are part of a series of five, the others being an ancient jellyfish, and a trilobite .

Attachments

• conv_302195.jpg
    conv_302195.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 549
  • conv_302196.jpg
    conv_302196.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 213
  • conv_302202.jpg
    conv_302202.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 259
The next two are a small plastic ammonite and a nautiloid. These are both Yowies and are part of the 'Lost Kingdoms' B-range four or five years ago. These were self assembly kits of Australian prehistoric creatures available inside chocolate Yowies, colourful characters named after the legendary Australian equivalent of Sasquatch. Also attached here is the paper description which came with them.

The ammonite was labelled as Tropaeum imperator, the nautiloid, helpfully, as cephalopod.

Attachments

• conv_288054.jpg
    conv_288054.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 489
  • conv_288055.jpg
    conv_288055.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 232
  • conv_288056.jpg
    conv_288056.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 270
I've sent you a pm with a link to some for sale Scouse. Many US fossil retailers seem to sell them but they are not so easy to find in the UK, e-bay is the best bet, as usual.

They are very solid, made of a heavy rubber material and I'm sure they would make a great addition to an octopus tank. Nice idea, the old meets the new! Reminds me of a friend who kept a genuine trilobite in his tank of Triops; he kept them in the kitchen, pity his girlfriend suffocated them all when she put cling-film over the bowl to protect them whilst cooking. Doh!

Brilliant cheers for that Phil!!

Wonder if it will scare the life out of a baby octo when he goes in :lol:

You reminded me of a mate who's mum was looking after his reef tank whilst he was on hol's once...she thought it smelt funny and decided pouring bleach in would solve it....hmmm you could say it did to that effect!!! :shock:

Here's a couple more pics; the large white ammonite is probably Acanthoceras, a Cretaceous ammonite from the chalk cliffs of Dover.

The red and white beast is a small clay model of Plectronoceras, the first Cambrian cephalopod that we know of. I knocked it up one afternoon out of clay whilst bored a few years ago. It's not very good, but it gave me a brief purpose in life. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_288069.jpg
    conv_288069.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 308
  • conv_288070.jpg
    conv_288070.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 217
  • conv_288071.jpg
    conv_288071.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 207
Phil said:
The red and white beast is a small clay model of Plectronoceras, the first Cambrian cephalopod that we know of. I knocked it up one afternoon out of clay whilst bored a few years ago. It's not very good, but it gave me a brief purpose in life. :smile:

Phil, you're weird ! :lol: keep up the good work

Keef

I checked out the bullyland web site. They have octopus, cuttlefish, which they call squidfish and a giant squid, which is currently out of stock. They also have collections of sea live, reptiles, stuff like that. Pretty cool stuff. I've gotten very authentic looking squid at bait shops. Take out the hooks and they're great.:onycho: You would have to live near the oceab=n though, f:hmm: reshwater fish don't recognize squid.

Tintenfisch said:
Ummm... a newspaper??? :bugout:

*nods*

Rolled up newspaper .... the mostest powerfullest weapon in the UUuuuuniverse!

*can't wait for the movie*
Soon in your theaters, X-men meets Wallstreet!

TPOTH

Groan! Proof positive that I can't type and that I should always proof read! Great site Greg, What is mm? We could put curly hair on her and turn her into "Kat, the great Ceph Tamer".:twisted:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back