• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Toxic sump ?

Redoc

GPO
Registered
Yesterday I added a 20gal sump to my octo system and this morning I didn't see her. This afternoon after not seeing her in the morning I went looking ( her favorite spot is in the very back of the tank under a piece of live rock ) she was in her den ( I have to use a mirror to see her ) she was not looking too good. She didn't change colour or move other than breathing. I tried prodding her with a feeding stick and she grabbed on and I dragged her out of her den. Long story short after about 45 min I got her up to the top of the tank. I was sure she didn't have much time left. She had been very limp the whole time no fight other than sucking onto things she came into contact with. As a last effort (suspecting something in the water) I filled a bucket with water from one of my other tanks and gently moved her to the bucket. within about 15 min she was starting to come around and did a little colour change after 45 min she had some strength back and was starting to move. She is now in a critter keeper in another tank and looking better.:wink: All the rest of the inhabitants of her tank all look fine water tests all look good I suspect something toxic in the sump or hose. The sump and all hardware is brand new and well rinsed. The only things in the sump are water and macro algae. I have added three large sacs of carbon directly into the tank in areas of good flow. I need to know if anyone knows a way to test for toxic chemicals in the system or knows another good way to remove them.

someone please help soon she is looking very upset in the small critter keeper. But she sure is active now:lol:

Any chance of copper in the system? copper fittings? (or brass, it is an alloy of copper) Instant Ocean produce a copper test kit.

How old are your other test kits, because your description sounds like a nitrate/ammonia issue.

No metal, all plastic. My test kit isn't new but it's not that old either. How often should you replace them? My nitrate was up just a little but not much instead of 0.1 it was 0.3 ammonia was also low the tank has been running for about 8 months and it's been about 3 weeks since the passing of the my last octopus. The tank she is in now hasn't been tested in 6 years.( If it aint broke don't fix it ) I'm thinking it was straight poisoning from something I failed to rinse well enough. She was just fine before I started messing with the setup. What I need to know is if anyone has a way of testing the toxicity of the water before she goes back in.

It could be anything, so any tests you do would be shots in the dark. Carbon is good, polyfilters may e good or useless, but may make you feel like you are doing something.
It could also be nothing and just an upset octo

When I took her out she wouldn't move on her own she was totally limp other than breathing. Thanks for the help, I run polly all the time in my filter but its due for a change anyhow. She is upset now being in the critter keeper.

I put her back in the tank tonight about 7:30pm, after changing some water and adding some new media to the filter earlier in the day. I watched her a bit but had to go out for a little bit. I came home at 8:50pm and she was nowhere to be seen. She was back in her den at the back of the tank and was a pale tan colour. I reached down to her with a feeding stick and she very lethargically grabbed it but not with much force. I wrestled her out of the back of the tank and back into the critter keeper. I guess she is going to spend another day in my reef tank. ( the fish seem to stress her out a bit she curls her legs around her body in a defensive pose and uses one leg to whip at the fish mostly my thornback cow fish that is very curious and friendly ) I am at a bit of a loss to what the problem is I will pick up a new test kit tomorrow and see, I was also thinking a dead spot in the tank but the water flow all around the tank seems pretty good. All the other inhabitants seem normal ( brittle star, sand star, pistol shrimp, blue leg hermits, snail, the one dam damsel I can't catch, mushrooms, sun polyps, and feeder crabs ) Please if anyone can help with a solution.

I bought a new nitrite and ammonia test. The levels in the tank don,t match the lowest levels on the test table. I have also added 2 sacs of chemi-pure to the filter. Has anyone used this product before? How well did it work?

Redoc;118188 said:
I bought a new nitrite and ammonia test. The levels in the tank don,t match the lowest levels on the test table. I have also added 2 sacs of chemi-pure to the filter. Has anyone used this product before? How well did it work?

too high? too low??? never used Chemi-pure

I'd try really hard to get that damsel out too, it could be really stressing out your octi.

J

The levels are too low for the test to read. As for the dam damsel oh how I have tried to get it out, I even moved a lion fish from another tank to try and get it there used to be 2 he got 1. The damsel was in with my last octo too and I have never seen it bother either of them in fact it usually steers clear and spends most of it's time hiding. I wish the octo would just eat it and rid me of it.:evil:

dwhatley;118193 said:
Did you use any liquid soap to clean the sump?
No of course not. just hot hot water and a sponge. ( a sponge that has only been used in my aquariums )

???????Something must be okay I have aculeatus hatchlings in my sump I thought they were all goners. I hope this means problem solved. As for anyone else with an aculeatus ( mikewise ) My girl has a mantle length of 2.5"-3" so she's pretty full grown and she has been dead and come back to life 2 times and been moved 4 times in the last 3 days. This is not the way I like to do things really I'm just posting this to show how adaptable our pets can be not as a recommended course of action. I know people ( me included ) always worry about moving our pets.:octorun:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back